'Downton Abbey: Season 4' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Default 'Downton Abbey: Season 4' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Downton Abbey: Season 4.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1001...bey_s4_uk.html
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM

I had zero interest in this and my wife started to watch it and I got hooked on the damn thing. We binged watched it for 2 weeks.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
I had zero interest in this and my wife started to watch it and I got hooked on the damn thing. We binged watched it for 2 weeks.
I watched a season and loathed it, but my wife loved it. I couldn't get hooked. Too much soap opera business for me. Several episodes into Season 4, she realized that it was getting too negative and depressing, so she threw in the towel!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Good review Aaron, but one question/fact: Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley) unexpectedly chose to leave the show during the filming of season 3 so the creators had to hastily come up with some way to write him out of the show as a result. It seems unfair to level an unexpected behind-the-scenes change-up as a legitimate criticism towards the show itself. Were you aware of this behind-the-scenes cause?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvados View Post
Good review Aaron, but one question/fact: Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley) unexpectedly chose to leave the show during the filming of season 3 so the creators had to hastily come up with some way to write him out of the show as a result. It seems unfair to level an unexpected behind-the-scenes change-up as a legitimate criticism towards the show itself. Were you aware of this behind-the-scenes cause?
I was unaware of his decision to do that, but I'd argue that a show and its behind-the-scenes turmoil should be completely seperate. While watching a show I'm not thinking of it in context of the real-life production. Basically, beyond a real-life untimely death of an actor playing a major role in a show/movie, it's entirely fair to critique a show on what they're putting on screen regardless of what's going on behind it.

One of 'Downton's biggest drawbacks as a story has been the way it swiftly deals with seemingly HUGE conflicts. It brushes aside new conflicts faster than you can keep track of them. Life-altering storylines are dealt with by large spans of time between episodes, and then rarely mentioned again. This was a problem before Matthew's death, and continues to be a thorn in the side of the show.

Thanks for your kind words though. Very appreciated.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I was unaware of his decision to do that, but I'd argue that a show and its behind-the-scenes turmoil should be completely seperate. While watching a show I'm not thinking of it in context of the real-life production. Basically, beyond a real-life untimely death of an actor playing a major role in a show/movie, it's entirely fair to critique a show on what they're putting on screen regardless of what's going on behind it.

One of 'Downton's biggest drawbacks as a story has been the way it swiftly deals with seemingly HUGE conflicts. It brushes aside new conflicts faster than you can keep track of them. Life-altering storylines are dealt with by large spans of time between episodes, and then rarely mentioned again. This was a problem before Matthew's death, and continues to be a thorn in the side of the show.

Thanks for your kind words though. Very appreciated.
I was about to state the same. What goes on behind the scenes is not relevant to the work. It's the same thing with any literature: Judge the work, not the author himself.