'About Time' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Default 'About Time' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'About Time.' He's a mega-fan. He says the Blu-ray is a must own, and he wants as many people as possible to see it. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10261/about_time.html
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM

I was intrigued by the trailer so I thought I'd give this movie a shot, hoping that it would be a decent time. I watched it with a group of friends, one of whom said she didn't like Love Actually (and honestly I wasn't a big fan of it either), but we made her watch it anyway. We were about 10 people all together. I don't think there was anyone in the group who didn't like it. We were all laughing throughout, and appreciated the sentimental moments too. Some of us were worried about the ending, but it didn't let us down.

All told, I was quite surprised about this, and (along with Rush) it was a very pleasant surprise this year, and an underrated gem.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Fantastic movie. Hopefully it'll get a little more attention in the home market.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Day 1 buy! Perfect Valentine's Day movie!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM

My wife and I both really loved this one. I heard the instrumentals to "The Luckiest" playing at certain points and said "Wow this is the perfect song for this movie" and it wasn't until the end that my wife realized why.

I wasn't a huge fan of Love, Actually but this one really impressed me. I definitely got choked up at the end, my wife was in tears. It was really, really good.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM

I really loved this movie and I'm glad Mr. Hickman loved it as much as I did. I was surprised this didn't get more attention or accolades. I'm also glad to see there's a commentary which is absent on so many new discs these days (I'm looking at you, Rush).
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM

UK release pre-ordered.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:19 AM

My wife and I both absolutely couldn't stand this movie. It was utter tripe, filled with so many plot-holes we lost count. And the message of the movie...*rolls eyes*. Not to mention the terrible soundtrack that was trying far too hard to tug the heart-strings.

I can imagine if you have kids you might feel differently. Kids do weird things to parents. We don't, so we don't.

Also, the premise of the movie is lying to people. Lie, lie, lie to deceive your way into a relationship. Ridiculous.

If I sound bitter about this movie, it's because I am.

Last edited by WilliamSG; 02-02-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSG View Post
My wife and I both absolutely couldn't stand this movie. It was utter tripe, filled with so many plot-holes we lost count. And the message of the movie...*rolls eyes*. Not to mention the terrible soundtrack that was trying far too hard to tug the heart-strings.

I can imagine if you have kids you might feel differently. Kids do weird things to parents. We don't, so we don't.

Also, the premise of the movie is lying to people. Lie, lie, lie to deceive your way into a relationship. Ridiculous.

If I sound bitter about this movie, it's because I am.
WilliamSG, you're the first person that I've actually spoken with who hasn't loved 'About Time.'

I read that many of the UK reviews were founded solely on the "lies" you mention and the overall sentimentality of it. I have a huge argument built up about the lies:
Spoiler
he won the girl over the first time that he met her, so having to use his "power" to win her over again is hardly an issue. the only reason that he lost her is because of his selfless desire to help out his roommate. He could have gone back and done it again, screwing over the buddy, but he didn't
I don't expect everyone to agree, but that's how I see it.

Personally, I love the fitting soundtrack. And I think you're right about this film resonating more because I have children.
Spoiler
If you don't have kids, the punch in the gut when Tim comes homes (and sees that his little girl is now a little boy) will have no gravity. That surprise almost made me sick.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hickman View Post
WilliamSG, you're the first person that I've actually spoken with who hasn't loved 'About Time.'

I read that many of the UK reviews were founded solely on the "lies" you mention and the overall sentimentality of it. I have a huge argument built up about the lies:
Spoiler
he won the girl over the first time that he met her, so having to use his "power" to win her over again is hardly an issue. the only reason that he lost her is because of his selfless desire to help out his roommate. He could have gone back and done it again, screwing over the buddy, but he didn't
I don't expect everyone to agree, but that's how I see it.

Personally, I love the fitting soundtrack. And I think you're right about this film resonating more because I have children.
Spoiler
If you don't have kids, the punch in the gut when Tim comes homes (and sees that his little girl is now a little boy) will have no gravity. That surprise almost made me sick.
I do not have kids (yet...we are expecting though), and it was all still a punch to the gut for me. Sometimes I think I'm just more empathetic then most people though.

WilliamSG...I'm curious about what Plot Holes bothered you though. I can think of a few possible ones...but you can kind of ignore them because the time travel is so vaguely defined in the movie.