'RoboCop (1987)' (Mastered in 4K) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Default 'RoboCop (1987)' (Mastered in 4K) - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'RoboCop (1987). (Mastered in 4K). This Blu-ray is recommended and a must own for fans. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1033...emastered.html
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM

E awesome review.
Totally agree with this and thought the same as I watched the movie, after not seeing it for so many years:
"As is the common thread and theme in most of Verhoeven's movies, the sci-fi actioner was intended as a darkly subtle commentary on contemporary culture. A quarter of a century later, the story of business corruption and greed governing society while citizens wallow in oblivious passivity via mindlessly moronic TV programming has become an ominously surreal revelation. "

"which makes this cut slightly more violent but not by very much. " - I disagree. Maybe I forgot how violent this movie was but the extra violent scenes were very graphic to me now.

Was there more bass in the movie theater when this movie came out? There is just no thump in this movie I found. I clearly remember in the theater the thump of Robocop walking in the police station for the first time.

For $7.99 this was well worth the price though. Really an awesome movie from the 80s.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Fiiiiiiinally. I'd held off getting this on blu-ray because nothing about the previous release seemed like an improvement on the DVD.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Anybody know if the commentary is the one recorded for the Criterion laserdisc/DVD?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM

^^ Nah, none of the Criterion supplements made it to this edition. Unless you count the fact that this is the Unrated Director's Cut. The commentary is from the Special Edition DVD while the other supplements are from the 20th Anniversary set.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM

As for the bass, I heard a nice thumping sound every time the ED-209 appeared, but it wasn't very loud or with a lot of oomph behind it. It's was pretty mild really.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks. I was waiting for this. Now I know it's worth it.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Another great review Professor. Funny...my buddy and I were just talking about how prophetic this movie turned out to be. Now we just need San Diego and Los Angeles to combine into San Angeles and have Taco Bell win the restaurant wars...

I loved this movie when I saw it in the theater...have caught it several times since. Will definitely be picking up this release. Actually looking forward to the remake, albeit cautiously. Haven't read anything about it yet, but worried it'll do the same as so many remakes (looking at you, Red Dawn): add way more action at the expense of the human aspect of the original.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
As for the bass, I heard a nice thumping sound every time the ED-209 appeared, but it wasn't very loud or with a lot of oomph behind it. It's was pretty mild really.
The ONLY times I heard some oomph.
Am I wrong that the theater version had more oomph in the low end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb37 View Post
I loved this movie when I saw it in the theater...have caught it several times since. Will definitely be picking up this release. Actually looking forward to the remake, albeit cautiously. Haven't read anything about it yet, but worried it'll do the same as so many remakes (looking at you, Red Dawn): add way more action at the expense of the human aspect of the original.
I agree, I hope they don't butcher it
Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
For $7.99 this was well worth the price though. Really an awesome movie from the 80s.
Did I miss this on sale? I only see it for $16.99