'Rush' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Default 'Rush' - High-Def Digest Review

Kevin has reviewed 'Rush.' Despite all the revving engines and burning rubber, the film is a bit pedestrian. But with good video, terrific sound, and some interesting extras, the Blu-ray is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10088/rush_2013.html
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM

I plan on getting this for a friend at work. He has a vast knowledge of cars, use to race them when he was younger, and still shows them in car shows today (winning many trophies and ribbons). This movie is right up his alley
Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Kevin absolutely nailed it on this review! The movie doesn't have as much soul as it should have, it does become repetitive, and the racing scenes are bereft of any action or suspense since they are much too focused on the style rather than the substance. I was disappointed in this film, I thought that for all of the talk that Ron Howard gave of being true to the sport and making this for the fans, it was really just an attempt to please the general public.

This all coming from someone who sees motor racing (not NASCAR, please don't get me started, hate that [email protected]#*!) as an obsession. I'm the guy that travels to various circuits across the world to see F1 and sports cars in person. I should have been the biggest cheerleader for this movie, but unfortunately I was let down.

Doesn't mean I won't buy the damn thing though.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Kevin absolutely nailed it on this review! The movie doesn't have as much soul as it should have, it does become repetitive, and the racing scenes are bereft of any action or suspense since they are much too focused on the style rather than the substance. I was disappointed in this film, I thought that for all of the talk that Ron Howard gave of being true to the sport and making this for the fans, it was really just an attempt to please the general public.

This all coming from someone who sees motor racing (not NASCAR, please don't get me started, hate that [email protected]#*!) as an obsession. I'm the guy that travels to various circuits across the world to see F1 and sports cars in person. I should have been the biggest cheerleader for this movie, but unfortunately I was let down.

Doesn't mean I won't buy the damn thing though.
Here's the funny part for me, ATL. I'm the opposite of you. Don't know anything about F1, but absolutely loved the movie for the characters and the fact that the "who's gonna win" wasn't the focus of the races. For me, the tension of "how far will they go to beat the other guy" made the various races smart extensions of the character arcs.

I'm sure we'll see a few others commenting. I'll be fascinated to check back in to see if F1-fans or non-F1-fans seem to enjoy the movie more or less. Regardless, I was pretty blown away.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Well... I liked it.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 PM

Another one who liked it a lot. My wife and I loved it the minute it was finished. I follow F1 since the mid 70's and even saw that horrible accident in 1978 in Monza where Ronnie Peterson died. To me the transformation of Daniel Brühl into Nicki Lauda was beyond belief.

Very recommended
Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 PM

P.S. To us the best movie Ron Howard did since.......forever.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 AM

For me this film was by far the biggest surprise of the year. Partly because the reason I went to see it was because I needed to kill some time so I came out surprised at how good it was. I read that the screenwriter wrote the story as a sort of big race between Lauda and Hunt and that's exactly what it feels like.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 AM

I agree with the review. The script and dialogue are a little simple, the emotional beats don't carry the weight that they should (or might have in the hands of another director), and the limited F1 action was disappointing in its over-dramatised style (ironically leaving those scenes without much drama at all!).

Its certainly not a bad movie, and I can see why others would like it more than I do AND less than I do... I had given it a 6 out of 10 previously, and that still stands!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

The moment the song "Gimme Some Lovin' " started playing, I knew the movie would be dumb. I didn't expect Ron Howard to recycle the same scene and song from another dumbass movie Days Of Thunder. Oh, and Hunt rhymes with c*nt.