' The Shadow: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2014, 03:44 PM

Default ' The Shadow: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Shadow: Collector's Edition.' He says this Shout Factory release is a huge improvement over Universal's previous lackluster Blu-ray. This should really please the film's fans. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10440/shadow_ce.html
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM

I'm a fan of the film but it's definitely an odd duck. If you're not in the right mindset, that 2 hour film can feel like 4 hours.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDD Review
That old Universal release was a VC-1 codec, no doubt prepped for the now-defunct HD-DVD format (although never released).
I see this all the time. I have no idea why people continue to correlate the VC-1 codec with HD DVD. I seem to remember that Universal's HD DVD encodes were actually incompatible with BD specs because of the software they used. (Josh?)

Regardless, the VC-1 encoded Blu-ray release of The Shadow from Universal exceeds the file size capacity of HD DVD by 2 GB. The average bitrate of the BD is higher than the HD DVD formats maximum. Even if you strip away the lossless audio, the encode still wouldn't have fit within ol' red's specs.

If The Shadow was ever considered for HD DVD at one point (doubt it), and on the off chance it was prepped, considering the film has never had extras, it would've probably ended up a HD-15 release (like Time Cop). Whatever made it to BD wasn't that. A shitty, HD DVD-era master sure, but not an actual HD DVD encode. And probably more like "shitty DVD-era master" anyway. Universal's HD DVD-era masters were actually, sometimes, okay.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
I see this all the time. I have no idea why people continue to correlate the VC-1 codec with HD DVD. I seem to remember that Universal's HD DVD encodes were actually incompatible with BD specs because of the software they used. (Josh?)

Regardless, the VC-1 encoded Blu-ray release of The Shadow from Universal exceeds the file size capacity of HD DVD by 2 GB. The average bitrate of the BD is higher than the HD DVD formats maximum. Even if you strip away the lossless audio, the encode still wouldn't have fit within ol' red's specs.

If The Shadow was ever considered for HD DVD at one point (doubt it), and on the off chance it was prepped, considering the film has never had extras, it would've probably ended up a HD-15 release (like Time Cop). Whatever made it to BD wasn't that. A shitty, HD DVD-era master sure, but not an actual HD DVD encode. And probably more like "shitty DVD-era master" anyway. Universal's HD DVD-era masters were actually, sometimes, okay.
I don't know enough about codec creation to know exactly how this works...what you're saying is that if they made a transfer originally intended for HD DVD in the VC-1 codec, they'd have to start from scratch to take that VC-1 and make it compatible with Blu-ray? I would think they'd just tweak it so it would be compatible with the different format.

Regardless, the point was the Universal disc that came out last year was most likely an older HD transfer that was probably originally intended for HD DVD. If it was a more recent transfer, I have no idea why Universal would have went with VC-1 (although their BATES MOTEL release oddly goes back and forth between episode discs in VC-1 and episode discs in MPEG-4 AVC, so it is possible). The quality of that transfer is the main reason most people think it's an older one. I'd hate to think they did that transfer last year, from what I've read about it.

Anyway, the main point here is: Old version transfer = bad/New version transfer = much better.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 AM

The best thing about this movie?? Jerry Goldsmith!

His score is the only thing that would get me to revisit this film!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Loved this movie! Glad I'll finally be able to swap out my region locked German version.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM

I still have the DVD with the 4:3. If I see this for a cheap price then I will probably pick it up.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks, kind reviewer.
For indicating that the BluRay comes with English subtitles. Although this is commonplace and very often assumed to be present; I like to know before I buy.
Awesome.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM

glad Shout is finally releasing their version. i'm still surprised they managed to get Baldwin to talk about it...kudos to them and to Baldwin for doing it!! this movie was cheesy the first time i saw it in theaters and i while i might be wrong, i'm convinced they purposely made it so cheesy. and its possibly why those who don't like it feel that way....because if you try and watch this as a "serious" movie, its indeed very bad. but to me its just so cheesy in the best way possible. and one of the reasons i think that was intentional was Baldwin's delivery of the line : "oh, that knife"

there's no way any seriousness was meant there, me and my friends cracked up so bad and loud at the scene the first time. and i still laugh anytime i see it. its such an awesomely cheesy movie. and Tim Curry's perfomance is pretty out there too. lol
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
The best thing about this movie?? Jerry Goldsmith!
Indeed. I don't think Goldsmith ever phoned in a score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE68oB02wbs