'Captain Phillips' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Default 'Captain Phillips' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'Captain Phillips.' He says this is an excellent true-life adaptation that definitely earned its Best Picture nomination. This Blu-ray is top-notch, with 5-star video, 5-star audio, and some informative extras. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1018..._phillips.html
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Such topical treatments usually twist facts and invent situations for dramatic impact, shamelessly exploit their subjects for financial gain, and trade artistry for sensationalism. 'Captain Phillips,' however, does none of those things.
Mr. Krauss needs to research his facts a little better.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-me...llips-heroism/

With that said, the inaccuracies do not take away from the quality of the film. Many, many "true stories" are simply "based on a true story."
Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post

With that said, the inaccuracies do not take away from the quality of the film. Many, many "true stories" are simply "based on a true story."
You can look at it from his perspective as well. His reddit AMA was informative and seemingly honest. I'm not saying his crew is a bunch of liars, but at least take into account both sides.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1p2csm/
Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:

The NY Post is not a reliable "research" source. You could probably research your "facts" a bit better yourself.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:23 PM

To be fair, I do state in the review that Phillips ignored the piracy warnings and advisories to remain 600 or more miles from shore and it's a shame the film didn't somehow address his stubbornness in that regard.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM

If you don't believe the crew, and their story is published in more places than the NY Post, then maybe you'll take Captain Phillips' word for it. Even he conceded that the film contains fiction.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/1...tain-phillips/

Again. That doesn't mean the film is not good. I look forward to seeing it myself one of these days. But let's not kid ourselves. Most "true story" films produced by Hollywood are not 100% accurate.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
But let's not kid ourselves. Most "true story" films produced by Hollywood are not 100% accurate.
I totally agree, and say as much in the opening of my review. My intention was not to lead people to believe the film was "100% accurate." But in the larger realm of true-life tales, I believe 'Captain Phillips' is far more accurate than most, and any liberties it takes are minor and remain within the framework of what actually occurred.

I would have liked to have seen more ambiguity regarding Phillips' character to reflect the flaws pointed out by the crew, but the film also does not nominate Phillips for sainthood, which is refreshing. The film focuses on what he does rather than who he is. Even reading what the crew members have said, I don't believe the film made any egregious errors or twisted the truth. It is an adaptation of Phillips' memoir, after all, not a documentary, so the perspective is his. But given that, once again, I don't believe this is a biased, inaccurate portrait. There will always be disgruntled former employees. Unless every single member of the crew is filing the lawsuit, then I do take their statements with a grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but one of the best true life adaptations? How? I've read that the real Capt Philips was an utter dbag and not the hero Tom Hanks makes him out to be.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 AM

He may well be an asshole, but this film isn't a biographical portrait. It's just a snapshot of a single five-day period in his life. Unless he was a serious asshole during the crisis, then I don't think the film's accuracy is compromised.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 AM

Personally, I don't think it matters whether the films accuracy is compromised. It's a movie. We expect there to be inaccuracies. It's based on a true story and that's a fact we can all agree on.

Like I said, I plan on seeing this film eventually. Whether it is 100% accurate or not makes very little difference to me. Look at the "Sound of Music." It's not 100% accurate and, in fact, the emotional ending is totally bogus. But it's a great film and I always get choked up at the end, despite the fact that I know the events portrayed in the final minutes never happened.