Original Batman 66 TV show coming to DVD!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM

Default Original Batman 66 TV show coming to DVD!!!

I know it's not Blu-Ray, but I figured this is news people would be interested in

Holy nostalgia, Caped Crusader! The original 1960s Batman show is finally getting a home-video release, and Conan O'Brien couldn't be happier.

USA TODAY confirmed the news that the late-night talk-show host tweeted to his 9.75 million followers Wednesday: Warner Bros. Entertainment will be releasing the complete series this year in a box set. He also added a picture of himself and the classic Batmobile with the quip, "The seat smells like Adam West."

The original series, which ran 1966-68 on ABC and in later years in syndication, was many people's introduction to the superhero outside of comics, especially before the Tim Burton Batman movie was released in 1989. And compared to the "Dark Knight" era began in the 1980s with comics icon Frank Miller and others, the TV show was a lighthearted campy affair starring West as the earnest Batman and his alter ego Bruce Wayne, Burt Ward as Robin and Yvonne Craig as Batgirl.

However, the many colorful villains they faced on a weekly basis were arguably more of a draw, with a stable of mainstays including the Joker (Cesar Romero), the Penguin (Burgess Meredith), the Riddler (Frank Gorshin) and three different women to wear the tight leather of Catwoman (Lee Meriwether, Eartha Kitt and Julie Newmar). Celebrities of the day were regular guest stars, including film director Otto Preminger as Mr. Freeze, Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac, Vincent Price as Egghead, Liberace as Chandell and his twin brother Harry, and Zsa Zsa Gabor as Minerva.

Details will be announced later on specific platforms and pricing.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...s-dvd/4496197/
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM

I think it's likely that this will also be released on Blu-ray. Anything that's comic book-related gets a high market share on Blu-ray, and besides the article says nothing about DVD or Blu-ray, just that details about "specific platforms" will be announced later this year. So I would be surprised if Warner decided to make this only available on DVD.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

I just have to ask.....Why?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
Blam! Pow! Oof!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
I was going to stay out of this, but curiosity led me here and I agree with you 100%. WHY?!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I was going to stay out of this, but curiosity led me here and I agree with you 100%. WHY?!
I bet it's cheaper to make them on DVDs versus blu ray and they want to test the market?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I bet it's cheaper to make them on DVDs versus blu ray and they want to test the market?
And it's not remastered if it's on DVD, therefore, will look just as good upscaled.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
My why is towards why bother with this crap? It is an insult to the name of Batman and all comic adaptations.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
My why is towards why bother with this crap? It is an insult to the name of Batman and all comic adaptations.
Actually, the 60's Batman was closer to what he was in the comic books than he was portrayed later on. It's only when DC started making him edgier that the movies changed to keep pace. Back then he was good at solving riddles and making deductions, and that was the focus of the show, not the violence as it is nowadays.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Actually, the 60's Batman was closer to what he was in the comic books than he was portrayed later on. It's only when DC started making him edgier that the movies changed to keep pace. Back then he was good at solving riddles and making deductions, and that was the focus of the show, not the violence as it is nowadays.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Comics in general didnt have this dark, uber-violent tone that they have had over the last 25 years. I remember seeing some pretty dark horror and war comics from the 70's when I was a kid, but superhero comics from the 50's and 60's werent like that.