'Carrie (2013)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Default 'Carrie (2013)' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has review the 2013 remake of 'Carrie.' He recommends it. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/10424/carrie_2013.html
Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Interesting review, Luke. Really enjoyed going through your list of remake haves and have nots (hot or nots?). Personally excited to give CARRIE a rent, especially after reading your write up. Missed it theatrically, but the Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's draft of the script was really terrific. Modernized, as you describe, but still faithful to the structure of the original novel (replacing newspaper articles with video interviews). Also, LET ME IN was fantastic.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Oddly enough, I never saw the original 'Carrie'. I have a very general familiarity with it from pop culture, but that's about it.

Would anyone here suggest I watch the remake first?

My thinking is that the original (from what I gather) is a better movie in general. So I could watch this one, enjoy it for what it is, then watch the original and then enjoy it for being better (if that makes sense).
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Would anyone here suggest I watch the remake first?
I'm curious as to how that would turn out for you - if you watched the remake now and the original later. I'm curious as to what you would think about the remake on its own, then how much you'd enjoy the original. Do it and tell us how it goes!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 PM

NJS, I agree with Luke for you to watch the remake (with the alternate ending) and then watch the original. Would be interested in your opinion as well! Actually, enjoyed both films and the re-make primarily targets the newer generation!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM

Is this in the Elite case with cut-out holes or is it in the better style without the holes?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 AM

I can understand why people bag on Van Sants Psycho remake... however I think it is one of the most important remakes of all time. Why?? Because it shows why a shot-for-shot remake should not be a consideration.

I didn't mind the Psycho remake... it was like a kooky alternate version of a beloved classic, and I enjoyed some of the liberties taken with the characters/story... but yes, ultimately it pails in comparison to the original, and could never bring to cinema the impact, shock and awe that 1960 audiences must have felt at the time.

What I really liked about it though, was how it seemed more of a cinematic experiment... and regardless of any one individual's opinion of the movie, it remains a very important example of why such a remake should not be attempted.

Contrast that to, say, Total Recall... a remake that differred considerably from the original, yet not only failed to recapture the spirit of the original, but failed as a piece of entertainment in its own right.

So which remake deserves a place in cinematic history more?

I have not seen the Carrie remake... I was keen until I heard a few friend reviews, and had recently seen the original again (and from what I have heard, this stick failry close to the original film's narrative). As such, I have doubts that this remake will bring anything new other than fresh new faces and modern cinematic contrivances. That said, I am sure I will catch up with it someday.

I tend to prefer remakes that take the concept and spirit of the original, but create a version that can be enjoyed as its own entity, without tarnishing the original. Zack Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead was a great example of this, as it essentially just took the concept of the original, but created its own narrative for the new version. The original remains a beacon of horror from my childhood, and I can still enjoy it today... as much as I can enjoy Snyder's 'studio' version, with its pace, humour and extreme gore. Two notably different takes on the same basic plot treatment.
I am, in a weird way, looking forward to the upcoming remake of Robocop... even though the original is one of my all time favourite movies. I understand that this remake is not intending to remake the original, but rather tell a different take on the 'cyborg-cop' concept... and for that reason I expect this film to stand on its own two feet a little, without being directly compared to Verhoven's original. Whether it succeeds as a film on its own merits is yet to be seen... but I remain optimistic about this one!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 AM

I refuse to even touch this movie. Not because of it being bad or good, but because I knew absolutely nothing about Carrie until this movie's trailer, which told me EVERYTHING about the movie. -_-
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 AM

Spoilers in trailers (particularly those from the third act) ought to be against the law... and requires a discussion thread of its own! :-)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 AM

Default I'm with the reviewer on this one...

It is a good remake. In some aspects better. The characters were more real, less cartoonists than the original. The young lady playing Carrie was brilliant. Watch it with my daughter and she loved it.