Double Dip Remasters, or Wait for 4k? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Double Dip Remasters, or Wait for 4k?
I'd buy the BD remaster & eventually the 4k, regardless of display. 1 6.25%
I'd buy the BD remaster, but wait on the 4k until I have a 4k display. 4 25.00%
Skip the BD remaster & buy the 4k title for playback on 1080p. 2 12.50%
I'd buy the BD remaster, but have no interest in 4k (yet). 5 31.25%
I'd skip both if I already own a BD release. 1 6.25%
It depends on the movie! 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Double Dip Remasters, or Wait for 4k?

There are many catalogue titles who's intial Blu-Ray release left fans complaining. Typically because the it's from a lousy source (like an upconverted DVD), or has excessive DNR.

Thankfully, we are seeing many remasters of these flawed titles (Terminator, Ghostbusters, Robocop...)

With 4k on the horizon, many studios are remastering titles with 4k scans, esentially creating a great new print for their Blu-Ray release as well (Ghostbusters).

My question is:

If you already own a "bad" version of a Blu-Ray, would you purchase it a second time on Blu-Ray if it was remastered...or would you wait for the eventual 4k release?

Sure, we don't have a physical format nailed down yet, and sets are expensive, but it's not unreasonable to think that 4k optical players will permiate the market quicker than the 4k TVs, under the marketing idea that 1080p displays would benefit from the added colordepth (etc). So, in theory, you could buy the 4k version for $30 instead of the remastered Blu-Ray for $20, and "future proof".
Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

I chose wait for the 4k release even if I don't have a 4k display yet. Though ultimately it depends on the titles. If they released a vastly improved Escape from New York 4k remaster on BD for example( ), I likely go ahead and buy it. However most movies can wait for the real 4k releases.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
If they released a vastly improved Escape from New York 4k remaster on BD for example( ), I likely go ahead and buy it.
Speaking of, I ordered Escape from New York from Best Buy the other day, I believe it was $10 (or just under). I thought I recalled reading that it wasn't a very good transfer, but I wanted it for my Carpenter collection. I've only seen New York once, but I've seen L.A. maybe a half dozen times (a personal favorite of mine). It could be because I saw L.A. first (in theaters) many years before seeing NY.

Regardless, it's about time for me to rewatch NY.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Speaking of, I ordered Escape from New York from Best Buy the other day, I believe it was $10 (or just under). I thought I recalled reading that it wasn't a very good transfer, but I wanted it for my Carpenter collection.
The Escape from New York transfer is actually fairly respectable for a low-budget movie made under the conditions that one was. It's a pretty clean film scan and generally unmolested by digital tampering. The only issue is that the gamma curve is off, which leaves the movie looking a little dim. While shadow detail is still visible, bright highlights look rolled off. It's not perfect, but overall it looks reasonably good.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM

I don't see anything to indicate that 4k Blu-ray is on the horizon. Obviously it's something that the hardware manufacturers want, but I haven't heard a peep from the studios that they're even remotely interested. Obviously they would need to be on board, and right now they're focused on the future of digital (they're even developing a 4k standard for UV).

As for double dipping, I'll do it depending on the title and price.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM

There was an article on the homepage that Sony says there will be 4k blu ray releases by the end of this year. And the US EFNY is the best release out there, not perfect, but decent.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
There was an article on the homepage that Sony says there will be 4k blu ray releases by the end of this year. And the US EFNY is the best release out there, not perfect, but decent.
That was Samsung, not Sony. And it was regarding possibly having the discs ready by the end of the year, not actual releases with movies on them.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 PM

It depends on the movie for me. There are some movies that no matter how many times they bring it out, I will buy it.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
That was Samsung, not Sony. And it was regarding possibly having the discs ready by the end of the year, not actual releases with movies on them.
Right you are, my bad. It's up to studios whether to take advantage this year or the next, but I'd imagine we'll start seeing 4k releases by next year for sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Maybe the new movie releases will look good in 4K, but movie companies are struggling to make catalogue titles look good on BD. All the print issues that we see mentioned time and time again in the reviews on this site, will only look worse in 4K. I don't see the point of 4K television, when even HD television broadcasts are still not 1080p yet, and the colour is compressed too (over here) so we see banding very clearly.