'The Following: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM

Default 'The Following: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Following: The Complete First Season.' This is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8820/following_s1.html
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM

I just picked this up the other day. My parents are into the show and made me buy it with their glowing review.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 PM

Even though this show was on Netflix streaming, I held out to watch it when it came out on BD because I had high expectations for it. I was in for a bad surprise, as the show turned out to be very badly written, an insult to audiences imo. Compared to other quality crime shows like Dexter and even fellow freshmen Hannibal and Blacklist, this show was pretty bad.

Some shows like Lost expect you to suspend your disbelief and they get away with it because of otherwise good writing and great entertainment. But this show just pushed that too far.

Some Spoilers Ahead:

Average citizens commit major crimes like shoot and kill cops on a whim, with no fear or remorse, on numerous occasions, although there really is no real 'win', reward or end game in sight, just a need to be in a possible novel by a guy who wrote only one failed novel before.

Trained FBI agents are outwitted, outsmarted, kidnapped, beaten & killed on numerous occasions by said average citizens with no training or combative experience, with the exception of a couple.

A large group of adults commit to kill random people, only because they strongly believe in a man who is incarcerated because of his insanity, a man who many of them have never met.

Seemingly rational adults with good careers, like a police officer and a sheriff, do things that instantly end their careers because they are devoted to this madman who will include them in a book.

The list goes on, and it's pretty much insulting to the audience for these types of shows these days. It's not til you watch a show like this that you realize how well written a show like 24 is. Also, it seems the writers just make things up, as I've seen other reviewers mention; things just keep going in a loop to fill up episodes--people get kidnapped, escape, are re-kidnapped, over and over again just to stall and fill up space til the season is over.

All that being said, the show is worthwhile for Bacon, and I'll still return to watch it in Season 2 because as bad as it is, I prefer a show like this over episodic CSI and L&O crime shows. However, Hannibal is a much better alternative to this show, and from what I've heard, Blacklist is as well. Still worth watching, but definitely not a quality crime show imo, sadly..
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post
A large group of adults commit to kill random people, only because they strongly believe in a man who is incarcerated because of his insanity, a man who many of them have never met.
Probably not worth arguing, since you're pretty much spot-on in all your other points (which I didn't feel the need - nor have the space! - to go into in my review), but the series makes it clear (via flashbacks) that Carroll has either recruited or, at the very least, met with (usually in prison) the majority of his "Followers." That, of course, is one of the major problems with the series - if they'd just kept Joe in isolation behind bars, most of the events of Season 1 could have never happened.

Again, Bacon and Purefoy are the real draws here...I doubt this show would still be on the air without them.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Go watch Blacklist. Did it get accepted for a second season?
The trash coming out of network TV is astounding.
The cable shows are completely blowing them away.
I was laughing when I was watching Blacklist how bad it was.

So hearing the arguments against this show doesn't surprise me.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Don't watch Blacklist. Don't watch The Following.

Watch Hannibal. Hannibal is amazing.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post
Average citizens commit major crimes like shoot and kill cops on a whim, with no fear or remorse, on numerous occasions, although there really is no real 'win', reward or end game in sight, just a need to be in a possible novel by a guy who wrote only one failed novel before.
But... But... He writes blogs. According to the pilot episode, he wrote literally hundreds of thousands of blogs all over the internet while he was in prison, and nobody there noticed him doing it. Blogs! Blogs! Blogs! Anybody who reads his blogs will immediately turn into a serial killer, because that's just how brilliant this guy is. "OMG, he's so right. I totally should become a serial killer. How did I not realize this before?!"
Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 PM

I'm with Roblove. This show is insultingly stupid and illogical, making it hard to care about anything that happens. Saw a few scattered episodes with my girlfriend and they were all terrible.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Don't watch Blacklist. Don't watch The Following.

Watch Hannibal. Hannibal is amazing.
Hahaha, I was being facetious with my Go watch Blacklist
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM

I agree that this show has many flaws, but I don't think the concept of the followers is that far fetched.

It's a large house full of people (from what we can tell), so that is, at most, 50 people? When you consider how many people out there obsess over serial killers, who write love letters to ones in jail, etc, then it's believable that he could "brain wash" that many people over several years of incarceration.