Mad Max Trilogy - black bars show to left and right of image - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Mad Max Trilogy - black bars show to left and right of image

Hi All,

Just been watching the Mad Max Trilogy on Blu-ray.

I noticed that there's slight black bars on the left and the right of the image.

Currently have my Sony 46NX723 to display Full Pixel, and this shows the small black bars to the left and right. If I set to normal, they disappear.

I've not noticed this before on many blu-rays if I'm honest. Just wondered if it was particular to this release, and if so, why?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

What you describe is a 1.66:1 image being displayed on a 1.78:1 (16:9) screen. But since none of the 3 movies are at the aspect ratio, it is most certainly a setting of yours.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
What you describe is a 1.66:1 image being displayed on a 1.78:1 (16:9) screen. But since none of the 3 movies are at the aspect ratio, it is most certainly a setting of yours.
Don't think I explained fully. The black bars to the left and right aren't what I was expecting, the films however do have black bars at the top and bottom which is expected. I believe they're 2:35:1. I did notice the slight left and right black bars when watching The World Is Not Enough also.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:40 PM

It's probably an overscan setting on your tv. You may be able to get your tv into a maintenance mode to correct it. That being said, I'm not advising you to do it, as there's a reason that these things are hidden somewhere in a secret menu. If you're not confident, you could call a technician to have them adjust it, or just live with it.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Some displays have confusing settings. You would think a 16:9 setting would be correct, but on some displays is actually "zoomed" in when using that mode, so a "True", "Normal" or "Actual" setting displays what the HDMI is passing thru without AR altering.

With no disc in the player, the display screen from the player would be an accurate target to choose and try various display settings. From that point the only time you see bars left and right are movies less thant 16:9.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 AM

Looks like it was the source, basically there were 1-2 pixels that were slightly darker on the edge on these films. At night that made it look like there were black bars on the edges - was very difficult to tell the frame from the picture. Looked at it closely this morning in daylight.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM

it´s from the source, but more in Road warrior and mad max beyond thunderdome, can see it on the blu-ray.com