Rocky Heavyweight Collection - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Question Rocky Heavyweight Collection

Anyone know much about the upcoming Rocky Heavyweight Collection?

From what I can tell the first Rocky is remastered, but I can't see if there are other differences that would make this worth getting if you already have the Undisputed Collection. I had hoped that the commentary from the DVDs would be restored (that was one of the complaints from the Undispiuted Collection I believe), but it doesn't look like that's the case.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Hmmm...I haven't heard about this. I own the existing collection, but I don't believe I have actually watched them yet (so I can't comment on picture quality). I think I only paid about $20-$25. So if it's just the first one remastered, with a noticable difference in PQ, I'll wait until it's a single release for under $10 and pick that up. If the whole set is remastered, I'd pick that up under $30, then figure out something to do with my old set.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:42 PM

The review here says there are some PQ problems with it (first film) but it looked fine to me. I wasn't expecting it to have spectacular PQ since it's from the 70s, but it looked fine to me and if that's the only difference then I won't bother.

If there's more though, I'll sell/give away my undisputed collection and get that.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM

At amazon.ca they have it listed. No specs, but it's listed as "Rocky Collection (Bilingual) [4K Blu-ray]". I'm assuming that Rocky 1 will be thoroughly re-mastered. Hopefully full details will come out soon. I have the Undisputed Collection already, so I probably won't re-buy this new set either way unfortunately.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Also, bluray.com also has a listing for Rocky 1 coming out on the same day as the Heavyweight Collection. It's listed as being 'remastered'. If it has Stallone's commentary track (at the very least) and has much improved PQ, I might just pick that one up.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Not sure why they couldn't have just included those commentaries in the undisputed collection to begin with. I can understand making a remastered version available for those who don't have the set yet (or those who just want to get the first one), but I'll be pretty upset if they add the missing extras to the new set because there was no excuse to not have them in the old set to begin with. Doesn't seem very "undisputed" to me.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM

I hate when companies do this.

They are only going to re-master the first movie, and recycle the other 5 movies. So people end up double dipping on six movies, just to get an improved version of one movie.

Whatever happened to the director's cut of Rocky Balboa that Sly said was on the way during the commentary?

Unless they have restored and re-mastered ALL of them, I will just wait for the individual release of the first Rocky movie. I personally think Rocky II is every bit as good as the original.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 AM

Did you not see the post above? It says that the first film will be coming out as a separate remastered release, so you don't have to get the entire set if you just want the first film in better quality.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM

It would be nice if they would re-master films BEFORE the first release. Hate "having" to re-buy something because they couldn't put it out in good quality the first time.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedram View Post
Did you not see the post above? It says that the first film will be coming out as a separate remastered release, so you don't have to get the entire set if you just want the first film in better quality.
I want them ALL in better quality. I could wait for the first one to be released as an individual disc. However, at some point down the line, they will release another box set with all the movies remastered properly and I will either have to buy it, and triple dip with Rocky and double dip with Rocky Balboa, or I will have to wait until Rocky II III IV and V are released again as individual discs.

This type of con is actually worse with music labels, they carefully engineer their releases in order for people to keep buying the same tracks over and over, just for additional few brand new tracks.