'Zat˘ichi: The Blind Swordsman' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Default 'Zat˘ichi: The Blind Swordsman' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed the Criterion Collection's release of 'Zat˘ichi: The Blind Swordsman.' Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9884...criterion.html
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 PM

One of my favorite purchases of last year.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM

I want this, but might be a little too expensive yet. For those of you who knows this series good. How does it compare to the 2003 Takeshi Kitano version? I loved that movie, saw it twice at cinema. And how does these films compare to Kurosawas movies from the same period? Am a huge fan of his.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Its superior to the Kitano version, in almost every way. The Kitano version is a little silly by comparison, and more violent than this series ever was. Well, until film 26 came out with it's ear and nose slicing. You have 25 films to deem which is better than one. So, I'm sure one of them will win you over.

If comparing to Kurosawa, I'd say it compares more closely to Hidden Fortress or Sanjuro. Though, these films are a bit more serialized than those. Personally, I think Zatoichi has more in common with something like Kill! than Kurosawa's films.

Also, I wouldn't watch them back to back. Only the first few seem to be really, really connected. So, watching the first four or so would be wise. However, I'd start breaking them up with other films and possibly slowing down to a few a month. It gives the films time to breathe and you time to breathe. If watched closely together, the apparent sameness of the story and settings start to come into play. Sort of like binge watching Xena or Hercules.

Still, I got the set at $120 something. It was a steal at that price given the sheer wealth of content in this set.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM

I've been going through these finally. Zatoichi Challenged on disc 6 won't work, it freezes 42 minutes into the movie and can't be skipped past, the movie before and after work fine. I've been emailing Criterion for 3 weeks with no reply. For what they charge you'd think they would actually have some semblance of customer service.

Would anyone be willing to loan me that disc? It's one of the few Zatoichi's I haven't seen.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Did you try cleaning the disc? I had a few that paused, but usually fixed themselves. But I've had other movies that freeze and require that I remove the disc and clean it. Warm water and liquid dish soap seems to do the trick.

If that doesn't work, just watch the DVD. The set comes with BDs and DVDs. Then keep pestering Criterion for a replacement.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Tried cleaning, no luck. Not going to watch the DVD, it's the principle of the thing. I'll keep bugging Criterion, in the mean time a friendly forumite might be helping me out.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Its superior to the Kitano version, in almost every way. The Kitano version is a little silly by comparison, and more violent than this series ever was. Well, until film 26 came out with it's ear and nose slicing. You have 25 films to deem which is better than one. So, I'm sure one of them will win you over.
The only non Shintaru Katsu Zatoichi film worth watching is the 2008 Ichi with Haruka Ayase. The plot is nothing special, but it's still a good watch and much, much, better than the Kitano film.