'Predator - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM

Default 'Predator - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Predator - 3D.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9765/predator_3d.html
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM

About the sound: If you compare this movie to others from the 80s, even early 90s, like First Blood or Dark Angel for example, the sound quality is much more superior in Predator, the sound frequencies much more fuller. Most of the action films from that era have glassy, high-pitched explosions and such, with virtually no bottom end. The review is right, that there isn't enough LFE, but compared to other films of the era, it blows them away. The camp raid scene has some great surround activity too.

Regarding the video, I too would have given it 3 stars but not because it was based on the UHE. Rather, there are many scenes which are inconsistent with one another. There are bright, lush, clear scenes, with lots of trees and vines, which generally look great in 3D. Then, there are dark scenes, and there are blurry scenes, and practically all of the infrared scenes that don't appear to have much/any depth. So, my 3 star rating would be based on the fact that about 30% of the film just isn't conducive to the conversion.

To me, since I didn't have any physical copy of the film on vhs, laserdisc, dvd, hd-dvd, or blu-ray, it was still worth the purchase price.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Get to the choppppppah!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM

We don't even have a descent 2D version of Predator yet, so it only makes sense that they should release it in 3D. As if the "Ultimate Hunter Edition" wasn't bad enough, we now get to see how bad that same transfer is in three dimensions.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Did the original blu-ray of predator disappear from the marketplace? From what I hear, it was completely untouched by any restoration or cleanup, showing all of the grain and drab colors in all its glory. I see several used copies on fleabay for cheap.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
We don't even have a descent 2D version of Predator yet, so it only makes sense that they should release it in 3D. As if the "Ultimate Hunter Edition" wasn't bad enough, we now get to see how bad that same transfer is in three dimensions.
Yeah, I would have rather seen a nice 2D transfer done first before converting the crappy transfer to 3D. This is such a great 80's action movie and it's sad to see that it hasn't been presented in a great transfer yet.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Get to the choppppppah!
Boston! You son of a bitch!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Boston! You son of a bitch!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
Did the original blu-ray of predator disappear from the marketplace? From what I hear, it was completely untouched by any restoration or cleanup, showing all of the grain and drab colors in all its glory. I see several used copies on fleabay for cheap.
Yeah the 1st Blu Ray release is fine, watched it last month in fact. Due to the good 3D, I may actually pick this up for shits and grins at $10 or less. Never bought the UE so it's all good.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Yeah, I would have rather seen a nice 2D transfer done first before converting the crappy transfer to 3D. This is such a great 80's action movie and it's sad to see that it hasn't been presented in a great transfer yet.
I agree with that 100%.

The way I see it, Blu-Ray has been marketed under the feet of the major movie studios. Blu-Ray has been around for 8 years now, and there are classic titles out there that still don't have descent Blu-Ray releases yet.

The question I would ask is.....Are these studios holding off releasing descent transfers of these movies because of cost, or because there is no technology available that can make the movies look any better on Blu-Ray than what they have released so far?