'Breaking Bad: The Final Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Default 'Breaking Bad: The Final Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Breaking Bad: The Final Season.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9859...bad_final.html
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 PM

I won't argue anyone who says it's the greatest show of all time.

What's even more frustrating about the documentary not being there is that the complete series doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:09 AM

If someone already has the Complete Series, could you please confirm if the discs are exactly the same released previously?

What I specifically want to know, is: does this new release adds spanish subtitles to Seasons 1 & 2? (or Spanish (Latin) audio track to seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6).

Theres no date on when this series will be released on Blu Ray in Mexico, and this pack looks really tempting.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM

For some reason, I never caught Breaking Bad when it was originally airing. (To be honest, I'd heard about it, but thought "why would I want to watch a show about drugs", and by the time there was so much buzz, I figured I was too far behind to get caught up ...) Anyway, with all the hype around the series finale this fall, I thought I'd finally give it a chance. I watched the first two episodes via Netflix (actually on the weekend that the finale aired) and was completely hooked. Went out and got all the blu-ray sets that were available. My timing actually worked out really well, as I made it to the "final season" about a day before it was released. Needless to say, I've watched it all now - and I have to agree that it's probably the best series ever. Like Luke, I had loved "Lost" and had considered that one of the best series I'd ever watched, but BB is just so consistent throughout the entire run. And watching it all over the course of just a couple of months was a lot of fun - I can't imagine the torture of waiting a week between episodes (and the nearly year-long season breaks). Absolutely spectacular show!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romwarrior View Post
I won't argue anyone who says it's the greatest show of all time.

What's even more frustrating about the documentary not being there is that the complete series doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
Favorite show of all time, I can honestly say I watched it from day one. Of course I decided to wait to get the complete series. Now it is out of stock and going for crazy high prices on ebay...
Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM

Out of stock? Ah. Here in Canada it 's everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. So much so that i'm waiting after christmas to get it, in case the other half gets it.

So far as extras go, I've learned not to buy individual series until the series are over. Look at How cool complete sets are! (I'm thinking of Lost, Dexter and Breaking Bad) besides, we don't know how a series will turn out by the end. I've been stuck with Heroes 1-3, havent even watched season 3's finale, the show killed all my interest. Season 1 was so good...
Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM

I've been waiting to get season 5 until they either bundled together, or I can buy them at the same time at a decent price. I see no reason to purchase a season split into two for double the price as one single previous season. It's like they decided to release season 5 the same way that novel adaptations are breaking the final book into two movies to keep the revenue going for one more year. So sick of this trend.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartyover View Post
I've been waiting to get season 5 until they either bundled together, or I can buy them at the same time at a decent price. I see no reason to purchase a season split into two for double the price as one single previous season. It's like they decided to release season 5 the same way that novel adaptations are breaking the final book into two movies to keep the revenue going for one more year. So sick of this trend.
I may be wrong, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it was actually the opposite of that. If you actually look at Breaking Bad's rating, they were rather on the low end of the spectrum up until season 5. AMC originally wanted a reduced single season of 10 episodes, but after a lot of different negotiations and, I believe, shopping the finale around to other networks, they agreed on doing the split of 8 and 8 as a compromise. It just happened that BB exploded in popularity with this season and worked out to the benefit of all involved.

This is what I've read about it, anyway. So, it was actually not milking at all, though it seems to already be leading that to other shows, ie, Mad Men. The nonsensical MSRP pricing, however...
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Sandiego View Post
I may be wrong, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it was actually the opposite of that. If you actually look at Breaking Bad's rating, they were rather on the low end of the spectrum up until season 5. AMC originally wanted a reduced single season of 10 episodes, but after a lot of different negotiations and, I believe, shopping the finale around to other networks, they agreed on doing the split of 8 and 8 as a compromise. It just happened that BB exploded in popularity with this season and worked out to the benefit of all involved.

This is what I've read about it, anyway. So, it was actually not milking at all, though it seems to already be leading that to other shows, ie, Mad Men. The nonsensical MSRP pricing, however...
Everything I've read has stated it was essentially a financial decision. Breaking Bad didn't suddenly explode during its fifth season. It's had huge critical acclaim since it first debuted plus has been nominated for a huge amount of awards with Bryan Cranston winning an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for three consecutive years. AMC would have been absolutely beyond stupid to not run the fifth season.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 AM

Critically, it was always well-received, but I was referring to ratings. And yes, it did very much explode in the fifth season. Look at the ratings jump from season 4 to 5, hell, even 5.1 to 5.2. Gilligan mentioned on, I believe, The Colbert Report after the show finished that high-viewing via Netflix essentially kept the series alive for it's early seasons. Did you see all the merchandise that appeared during the fifth season? None of that was really around before. There were shirts and stuff probably, but not in mainstream shops, and it wasn't getting referenced in all other popular entertainment until this last year. Critics and awards don't mean shit in the long run when it comes to a series' stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_4_.282011.29

Also, I didn't say it wasn't a financial decision. It was, but not to milk like you suggested, it was actually to cut down originally. I can't tell you where I read off the top of my head, since this was a while ago, but I do recall reading it because I was relieved, as I knew their was money disputes between AMC and Sony prior to it.