'The Host' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Host' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'The Host.' He's a fan of the film and says this Blu-ray release definitely delivers, boasting an excellent video transfer, and a strong (if incomplete) set of supplements. While this one's being released concurrently on both HD DVD and Blu-ray, Kenneth gives this BD edition the edge, thanks to a superior uncompressed PCM track that's exclusive to the Blu-ray.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/host.html
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 AM

I may blind buy this one. Anybody seen it in stores?? I heard it is very hard to find at retail outlets.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I may blind buy this one. Anybody seen it in stores?? I heard it is very hard to find at retail outlets.

I bought the BD.It's a pretty good asian creature feature but i'd rent it first if i were you .
Not everyone will like it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 AM

Is it region free? Magnolia's other releases seem to be.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
A great little monster movie w/very good pq & aq as I noted in another thread. Bought my copy from amazon and recieved on release date in CA.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Definitely rent first IMO. I failed to see why this movie is considered so much better than other creature flicks. I can appreciate the picture quality, but the moments of "comedy" really came across more as awkward to me. The early hijinks had me thinking this film's tone would be more like Shaun of the Dead, but then it became serious about halfway through and stayed that way through the end. Really bizarre, and overall quite a mediocre horror flick.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hard to find online as well. Amazon has the HD DVD, but seems sold out of the BD (say 7-10 for BD, immed. shipping on the HD DVD). And DVDplanet out of stock also.

I was just going to rent this one, but Netflix shows "long wait" for all 3 formats. After reading the review it sounds pretty good, and I want the BD version for the PCM audio, so I picked it up at HDmovieSource here in the Indie Retailer forum.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:15 AM

I really enjoyed this film. There were some moments of cheese, but I really liked the monster. Just ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon for $15.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 AM

I got this from Netflix yesterday evening and watched it. The PQ is good, presented in 1.85:1. It's an average horror flick after my view, a good rental but I wouldn't buy it as part of my collection. The creature was interesting with good overall effects.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 AM

DO NOT BUY THIS MOVIE !!!!!!
Please for the love of all things Holy, save your money. It isn't remotely scary at all, and the it drags on for what seems like an eternity. I bought it as a blind buy and it was the biggest waste of my cash and time. Even my wife thought it sucked, and she was anticipating to be scared. Instead we laughed at the how lame and cheesy it was. Rent it first, then decide if you still want it.