'Nadia The Secret of the Blue Water: Complete Collection' is coming March 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-29-2013, 03:19 PM

Default 'Nadia The Secret of the Blue Water: Complete Collection' is coming March 4

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1038..._complete.html
Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 PM

This has got to be an upconvert, right?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
This has got to be an upconvert, right?
It's possible to remaster a show like this from the original film elements. Serial Experiments Lain was genuine HD. What the studio will actually do remains to be seen, however.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM

I think he's saying it because it's a fairly old tv show, 22 years, and was most likely not filmed in HD to begin with, or in a wide screen format. So I'm probably guessing malakai is correct, it's an upconvert.

I will say it's a very good series, and if you haven't seen it, it's an old classic worth seeing.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Funimation has a habit of releasing upconverts, probably because the source material is 480i/p, but this is a different company. Maybe they have better source materials. Still, the original aspect ratio of both the tv series and movie were 1.33:1, and this is listed as 1.77:1. That'd mean it's either forced black bars on the sides or stretched or cropped video.. Who really knows? I guess it's better to wait for reviews and screenshots.

I love the opening theme song to this though, Blue Water.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM

The series was released on Blu-Ray in Japan two years ago. Consensus is that those discs look very soft and blurry, but doesn't seem to be an upscale.

More info here.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I think he's saying it because it's a fairly old tv show, 22 years, and was most likely not filmed in HD to begin with, or in a wide screen format. So I'm probably guessing malakai is correct, it's an upconvert.
Animation from this time period was photographed on film (usually 16mm) and then transferred to video. It's possible to remaster it from the film elements.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Animation from this time period was photographed on film (usually 16mm) and then transferred to video. It's possible to remaster it from the film elements.
Well let's hope they have the master then :P. Otherwise, it will most likely be another DBZ like chop and upconverted mess.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Just a few more days to release, and I forgot all about it and didn't budget it in.. Well, that's OK. I really want to see the reviews before committing. BTW, they've since updated the cover and back art, and it says 4:3 aspect ratio, instead of the reported 1.77:1 ratio amazon has.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM

Early reviews seem to indicate that this is a mix of upconverted SD and HD because they didn't have access to the masters on all of the episodes. Some reviews complain of a lot of softness, other reviews are saying this is A- video quality. It could be as good as it's going to get though. Is HDD planning to review this? For the current ($65.84 on amazon) price, it's probably worth picking up either way. If it stays at this price point (or below) until May or June, I'll probably get it. If not, no hurry...