'All the President's Men (2-Disc Special Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Default 'All the President's Men (2-Disc Special Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review

David has reviewed 'All the President's Men (2-Disc Special Edition).' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9797...ts_men_se.html
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Very timely release, especially in light of what the current administration has been doing.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Under Technical Specs Audio Formats:
"English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo"
The review states: "Warner provides a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 (mono) Track".

Was hoping for the OST; which is it?!?!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 AM

Both discs are 2.0. The 1.0 reference was a typo.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 AM

Excellent movie about serious investigative journalism that only got a little off that track toward the end when it lightly dipped into the thriller genre. I highly recommend seeing this at least once.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM

You know, I enjoy this film, I really do. But it's a relatively bad interpretation of the autobiographical book on which it's based. And when you really think about it, it comes down to this relatively weak plot point:

In spite of how much they've learned through their investigations, the two reporters eventually end up in a position where the White House is calling them liars and they have no further means by which to back up their stories. They're at a dead end. How do they get out of it? Woodward just yells at Deep Throat and gets him to spill his guts, instead of the hints and nudges in the right direction he'd been giving to that point (and which seemed to have been all he gave them in the book).

Also, the one moment of perceived peril in the film -- when Woodward is leaving the parking garage at night -- is a manufactured scare where there was actually nobody there.

Those two criticisms aside, it's a film I will pretty much watch any day of the week, in spite of its shortcomings and its attempts at inserting false drama compared with the book.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Both discs are 2.0. The 1.0 reference was a typo.
What a shame (the soundtrack being stereo/not your typo); again no OST!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchapp View Post
Very timely release, especially in light of what the current administration has been doing.
Make that administrations and you're correct.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Whore View Post
What a shame (the soundtrack being stereo/not your typo); again no OST!
Mono soundtracks can be and often are encoded as 2.0 with identical audio in both channels. When you turn on ProLogic decoding, the sound will collapse into the center channel and will be indistinguishable from a 1.0 encoding.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Make that administrations and you're correct.
Yes, going back to the Bush administration and the Karl Rove character assassination tactics against anyone who dared to disagree...