'Tank Girl: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Default 'Tank Girl: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Tank Girl: Collector's Edition.' This cult favorite is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4136/tankgirl.html
Old 11-14-2013, 04:50 PM

Those kangaroos still look awful after all these years.

Love the review though. Very honest and accurate about the film's ups and downs.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM

"How do you defend a movie you like and enjoy when you know that outside of that subjective response, the film is by all accounts laughably bad and terrible?"

By abandoning the concept that films have to be labelled good or bad. When it comes down to it, a film is what it is, and there will be some that enjoy it and others that don't. Fast And The Furious 6 could easily be misconstrued as a bad movie, with its hokey plot, cheesy dialogue, and ridiculously over-the-top acting and set pieces... And yet I found it far more entertaining and enjoyable than the allegedly brilliant Inception.

I wish critics would take this into consideration, as 99.9% of reviewers waste time trying to describe a film as good or bad, when really the only thing they are able to review is their own personal experience with the film.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:04 PM

No doubt this film will be considered one of the most hated cult classics of its time. No I'm not dissing the movie on a personal level. I thought it was fun and unique and am a fan of lori petty.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Naomi Watts may add "nothing to the storyline", but she does add an automatic +1 to any movie she's in. Hence why Tank Girl and Peter Jackson's King Kong are 1-star movies!

Actually, TG is strangely intruguing. The train wreck that you can't help gawking at, and keep walking down the track to make sure you don't miss a bit of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

When I was in film school, one of the grad students had just come back from working as a PA on this. He told stories of director Rachel Talalay throwing temper tantrums on set, screaming at everyone, and smashing her video playback monitor when a shot didn't turn out the way she wanted. As he told it, it was a miserable shoot and she was disastrously incompetent.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
When I was in film school, one of the grad students had just come back from working as a PA on this. He told stories of director Rachel Talalay throwing temper tantrums on set, screaming at everyone, and smashing her video playback monitor when a shot didn't turn out the way she wanted. As he told it, it was a miserable shoot and she was disastrously incompetent.
Did the grad student's career ever recover? Did he land sweet jobs in the business? Is he creating something right now?

Since these supplements are all new, shouldn't they be high def exclusives? Or is there also a DVD-version with all extras intact released at the same time?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Did the grad student's career ever recover? Did he land sweet jobs in the business? Is he creating something right now?
Damned if I know. I didn't keep up with him. In any case, he was just a PA. Nobody would ever hold him responsible for the way the movie turned out.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
.....she was disastrously incompetent.
Freddy's Dead and Ghost in the Machine proved that before she took this on!!