'Monsters University - 3D: Ultimate Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Default 'Monsters University - 3D: Ultimate Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael has reviewed 'Monsters University' on Blu-ray 3D! He says this prequel isn't quite as good as 'Monsters Inc.,' but it's still a fun family film and as always Pixar delivers a demo worthy Blu-ray presentation. This is probably the definitive edition for diehard fans of the movie. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9591...ty_3d_uce.html
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Do they happen to mention why they are meeting for the first time now when they clearly talk about knowing each other since the 4th or 5th grade in Monsters Inc.?

From the previews (I havent seen the movie yet) it certainly sounds like this is the case, so it already pissed me off as a prequel because they couldnt even get the continuity right from their own first film in this world.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Do they happen to mention why they are meeting for the first time now when they clearly talk about knowing each other since the 4th or 5th grade in Monsters Inc.?

From the previews (I havent seen the movie yet) it certainly sounds like this is the case, so it already pissed me off as a prequel because they couldnt even get the continuity right from their own first film in this world.
Hi Vidfreek. The filmmakers mentioned this in the first few minutes of the audio commentary (on the 2D Feature Disc). They said (paraphrasing here):

Spoiler
The filmmakers are very aware of the line in the first film and they set out to make this happen, originally. But as the story developed and changed, they found it awkward to have the two characters meet twice (once as children, and then again as college students). Because they wanted to tell a more adult story -- because they didn't want to have too many scenes with the children and because for this new story to work, Mike and Sulley have to be enemies -- they ultimately chose to have them meet for the first time in college.

My guess is that answer won't please you, but sometimes filmmakers have to make hard decisions to what they, at the time, think best serves the story they are trying to tell. The movie does open up on a Young Mike scene (he's the film's protagonist), the point of which is to establish Mike's life long dream of becoming a scarer. Perhaps the Pixar team thought it would confuse things if they added a moment here where a Young Sulley (not featured in the film, to be clear) appeared as well.

Personally, 'University' works best when you divest yourself of how wonderful and inventive and structurally tight 'Monsters, Inc.' truly is. I know that's a bit of a copout, along the lines of "turn off your brain cinema" which I hate in arguments, but it seems to apply here for what is, otherwise, a generally good film that is also an unnecessary Prequel. Cheers.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM

My family and I enjoyed watching this over July 4th weekend. Day 1 for sure. Great review and looking forward to seeing the 3D version.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Crappy cover-art for the U.S. set. Ordered the UK version. (no DMR in UK set is there?)... Missed it in the theaters, nice to see the PQ and AQ ratings up there!
Glad to see this wasn't docked any points for "lack of supplements" as they're HD instead.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 AM

Just saw this last weekend for the first time. Very impressed with PQ and AQ. Not Pixar's best, but a step-up from 'Cars 2' and 'Brave'. Fun prequel nontheless. The 'fourth grade' line is indeed a little sad, but director Dan Scanlon further mentions (in one of the docs) that he asked both John Lasseter and Pete Docter (the director of 'Monsters Inc.') and they basically said (non-Frozen pun): 'Let it go'. That one line shouldn't hamper the story line of the prequel. I didn't really mind. At least they address it. I hate it when a "mistake" like this happens, and the film makers don't acknowledge it in the slightest.