'Cars - 3D: Ultimate Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2013, 04:16 PM

Default 'Cars - 3D: Ultimate Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael has reviewed 'Cars - 3D: Ultimate Collector's Edition.' He says that despite the film itself being one of Pixar's lesser efforts, the Blu-ray 3D is still high quality all around and well worth double dipping for hardcore fans of the movie. Full review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9846/cars_3d_uce.html
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Does the 2D disc have the new Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, or is that only limited to the 3D disc? I would like to know for double-dipping purposes.:redface:

Last edited by killermike2178; 10-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermike2178 View Post
Does the 2D disc have the new Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, or is that only limited to the 3D disc? I would like to know for double-dipping purposes.:redface:
The old disc has uncompressed PCM. There's really no upgrade to be had there unless you want 3D.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermike2178 View Post
Sorry that wasn't clear. Both the 3D and 2D versions of the film have been encoded in TrueHD for this release. Also, the 2D disc itself appears to be a different printing b/c the menus are simpler than what was described by our reviewer in the original release. Cheers.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 PM

Probably my least favorite Pixar flick..still...I will be picking this one up..again,lol. Great review.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:48 AM

Cool! Also, does the static pop still occur in the left rear speaker at the mark 1:11:08 like it did in the first pressing with the LPCM mix?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM

but does the new DolbyTrueHD mix have the encoded matrix rear channel of sound. The DVD does, as Dolby Digital EX. The prior bluray the LPCM track is discrete surrounds with no matrixing. I'm really surprised Pixar didn't re-mix this in 7.1
Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
but does the new DolbyTrueHD mix have the encoded matrix rear channel of sound. The DVD does, as Dolby Digital EX. The prior bluray the LPCM track is discrete surrounds with no matrixing. I'm really surprised Pixar didn't re-mix this in 7.1
I'm surprised too (about the 7.1). This is a 5.1 TrueHD track (no matrix), however it translates quite well to 7.1 via my reciever's Pro Logic IIx post processing. Cheers.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
I'm surprised too (about the 7.1). This is a 5.1 TrueHD track (no matrix), however it translates quite well to 7.1 via my reciever's Pro Logic IIx post processing. Cheers.
ugh - really? [face palm] I really really don't understand how this title while it gets high marks on the PQ and AQ can't replicate or supercede the Dolby Digital EX DVD - the audio stems are there, why didn't Pixar just port it over to this new bluray version - it was there one chance, and they dropped the ball - is it really that difficult?? Out of all the Pixar DVD and blurays I believe this is the only bluray that doesn't have the rear matrixed audio channels... unreal.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 AM

I have a hunch that rather than create a newly-mastered TrueHD mix like they did for the 2013 pressing of Monsters, Inc., they just took the 5.1 TrueHD mix from the Canadian version, so no surprisingly higher bit-rates, like the last 4 Pixar movies (Including Monsters University) that were graced with upsampled 7.1 TrueHD mixes. Oh, well. If it sounds the same as the LPCM mix, it will suffice, especially if it's now the default audio, unlike the former.