Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    IceNine is offline Member

Default The X-Files finally coming to Blu-ray?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...uts-new-644025

MIPCOM: Illuminate Hollywood Touts Its New HD- and 4K-Conversion Technology
    4:19 PM PDT 10/6/2013 by Elizabeth Guider

The company, which has already created the latest HD versions of "The X-Files," "24," and other series Stateside, is introducing its iConfirm technology overseas.

Talk about technology has filled the convention hall corridors in Cannes for a decade; now various tech companies are flocking to the Croisette to help folks upgrade, upload or otherwise add oomph to their aging content.

One such outfit on hand this go-round is L.A.-based postproduction facility illuminate Hollywood, which is on the Croisette for the first time to tout its iConform solution to the international marketplace. The iConform technology is designed to bring programs up to the current HD and 4K media standards and thus hopefully to generate new life -- and extract new revenue -- from dormant assets.

Stateside, illuminate Hollywood has already remastered series for CBS, Fox and Universal, among others. The solution has been used, for example, to create the latest HD versions of The X-Files, 24, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Pee-wees Playhouse. From there these series can go on to find new viewers in the digital space and other yet to be developed outlets. (Any U.S. series more than 5 or 6 years old needs such scanning and polishing work done on it.)

In launching its 4K conversion solution internationally, illuminate Hollywood, which is privately held, recently hired content rights exec Steve Galloway as senior vp business development. His job: to introduce the iConform technology abroad and to broker distribution deals for independent clients, serving as the conduit in finding new audiences for the enhanced programs.

"The libraries of major film and TV studios, independent producers and distributors are full of assets sitting idle when they could be generating significant revenues. This programming isnt marketable because it doesn't meet current HD broadcast standards," Galloway said Sunday in Cannes.

He told The Hollywood Reporter hed be meeting with some of the key European rights holders the BBC, Beta, TF1, ITV whose rich back catalogs are likely crying out for a dusting off.

"Any asset that is valuable needs to be digitized and stored for current and future delivery," he said, emphasizing that this, his first such market on behalf of the service, would be about "getting us into the discussion and capitalizing on relationships Ive built abroad over the years."

Before joining illuminate Hollywood, Galloway ran his own consulting firm and held senior roles in content acquisitions, licensing and distribution for companies including A&E Home Entertainment, Nelvana and Universal Music.
    I am... I am... I am... in Satan's all-perfect love.

Super-VHS is offline Member

The X-Files remaster has been known to be in the works for a while.

The same goes for the HD remaster of the first three seasons of 24 (which were mastered in SD, and broadcast in "Enhanced Widescreen"). The visual effects will likely be upconverted (a la Firefly).

Unfortunately, Fox has been mum on both fronts, after the initial "leaks" from internal sources (in both of the cases above, a producer).

It's also disappointing that it looks like they farmed out the remastering to this particular company. illuminate Hollywood used to be called HTV Illuminate. They did the, frankly terrible, remaster of Star Trek: TNG - Season 2. HTV techs slathered that season with DNR, and the remastering was a total rush job in other regards, too. CBS was so displeased with the results, the plan to have HTV do seasons 4 and 6 were cancelled, and the contract terminated. CBS Digital has been doing each season themselves now.
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"

fitprod is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
    Stateside, illuminate Hollywood has already remastered series for CBS, Fox and Universal, among others. The solution has been used, for example, to create the latest HD versions of The X-Files, 24, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Pee-wees Playhouse. From there these series can go on to find new viewers in the digital space and other yet to be developed outlets. (Any U.S. series more than 5 or 6 years old needs such scanning and polishing work done on it.)
    Well polishing maybe, but most of 24 was always HD (I just saw the post about S1-S3); Star Trek TNG has been reconstructed from the film elements, and includes newly rendered effects and Pee-Wee's Playhouse is being sourced from it's original film elements.

I wonder if they're the one that botched Season 2 of Star Trek: TNG. Maybe they worked on the first season of Star Trek Enterprise, but I though that was HD originally as well.

fitprod

Quote Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
    I wonder if they're the one that botched Season 2 of Star Trek: TNG.
    Indeed they are.

thejnc is offline Member

I would love X-Files on blu. Even the seasons with the T-1000. Also the Lone Gunmen please. Don't really care if Millennium ever does...except for the Jose Chung episode.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

skywalkr2 is offline Member

Back in the OLD days I spent TONS of money buying the big box X Files DVDs. If this does happen I hope it streams because I really don't want to have to double dip.

fitprod is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    Indeed they are.
    Takes some balls to boast about it, considering their company was canned from future projects by the studio. (CBS Digital)

fitprod

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
    Back in the OLD days I spent TONS of money buying the big box X Files DVDs. If this does happen I hope it streams because I really don't want to have to double dip.
    I had all seasons on VHS. Will definitely double dip if the quality is decent.
    "Have a Good Time, All the Time." - Viv Savage, This Is Spinal Tap.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by IEStrikes Back View Post
    I had all seasons on VHS.
    You were still buying VHS when the show ended in 2002?

Did Fox even release the later seasons on VHS?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    You were still buying VHS when the show ended in 2002?

Did Fox even release the later seasons on VHS?
    Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't all seasons, can't remember for sure.
    "Have a Good Time, All the Time." - Viv Savage, This Is Spinal Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by IEStrikes Back View Post
    Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't all seasons, can't remember for sure.
    Fox never released full seasons of The X-Files on VHS in the United States. Select episodes from the first 4 seasons were released on the format. In the late 90s, the VHS releases were discontinued by Fox-US in favor of the new DVD format. The X-Files was one of (if not the) first series to release full seasons on DVD.

In the UK, however, Fox continued The X-Files on VHS to the end. Initially, like the US, there were waves of selected episodes. The UK even had a special line of releases, called "The Files", which contained special edits of two and thee-part episodes (like "Anasazi", "The Blessing Way" and "Paper Clip") as feature-length films on VHS. Eventually, Fox-UK put out entire seasons on VHS. All 9 seasons were released on the tape-based format in the United Kingdom.

Boston007 is offline Member

Just give me a blu ray set that deals with the alien invasion episodes LOL
    I still hate how they ended that subject. The movies were meh.
    The show died for me after the season finale with the famous boy chess player. I loved that episode and the next season was just shit and it ended for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    The show died for me after the season finale with the famous boy chess player. I loved that episode and the next season was just shit and it ended for me.
    Season 6 and 7 have plenty of good episodes. Some of my favorite non-mythology/"monster of the week" eps in the entire series are in those seasons.

20(ish) years later, the MOTW episodes hold up much better than the increasingly convoluted myth-arc.

Boston007 is offline Member

Season 6 and 7 have plenty of good episodes. Some of my favorite non-mythology/"monster of the week" eps in the entire series are in those seasons.

20(ish) years later, the MOTW episodes hold up much better than the increasingly convoluted myth-arc.
    That's because even back then I don't think they knew what direction they wanted to go with the myth arc. They should have solidified it long before the 3rd season IMO.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

The X-Files was one of (if not the) first series to release full seasons on DVD.
    As I recall, it was in fact the first series to release full season sets on DVD, originally at something like $150 a pop. Prior to that, the only major push for TV on DVD was Star Trek: The Original Series, which Paramount released in a series of individual discs with two episodes each (a replication of their Laserdisc release model), priced at $40 each I believe.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast