'Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM

Default 'Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition.' Although this transfer was reportedly supervised and approved by cinematographer Dean Cundey, he says the improvements over the previous release are slight. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is also a disappointment. This is worth a look, especially if you skipped the last release, but it's still an imperfect presentation of the classic slasher.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9402...ween_35th.html
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM

Ugh, looks like I'm skipping Halloween again.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 PM

I just canceled my Amazon order. Damn it. Wish it was better.

I'll wait this one out a little bit.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Anchor Bay really dropped the ball on this one. I'm surprised there are not more complaints. Soundtrack is great. But if you take the trouble of bringing in Cundey to supervise the transfer - why are we still looking at a print with a large hair on the Laurie Strode bedroom scene moving about in the lower frame and when Loomis goes to the phone booth there is a terrible jump/frame re-adjustment???

The supplements for a 35th anniversary was really disappointing. The JLC piece is good but bizarrely that is your newest and only main extra video feature (the location supplement we've seen before)- There are so many more people from this film in front of and behind the camera that could have been interviewed for a 35th anniversary special - especially frustrating since some of the cast was at the horror hound event where the JLC supplement was shot. The Halloween negative of alternate takes that was found years ago makes a NO SHOW. Would have been perfect to add it to a 2nd disc for a 35th anniversary release but that footage remains more elusive than a Sasquatch.

At this point the best new feature is the commentary between Carpenter and JLC - and the only reason to even consider bothering with this version.

For a special 35th anniversary release - it's really disappointingly thin for such a classic horror film.
Shame on Anchor Bay.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Sorry but the 2007 screen shots actually look much better than this 35th Anniversary Edition.

The pic of Loomis & the sheriff is so dark it's cringe-inducing.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

The PQ does look quite a bit better and the colors more real. The skin tones look more real.
I will not likely be dipping again though knowing there's still issues they could have fixed.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroof View Post
Sorry but the 2007 screen shots actually look much better than this 35th Anniversary Edition.

The people look orange in the 2007 shots. And it's a horror movie, it's not supposed to be so bright.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroof View Post

Gotta say I'm with you here, the 2007 captures look better by a country mile.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Are you sure there is a color-timing issue?

I compared the 35th anniversary to the 2007 Blu-Ray and the 25th-Anniversary DVD. When the three girls are walking home and then Laurie sees Michael down the street, the orange of the trees on the standard def is made more orange by the sunlight. In the Blu-Ray, the remastering perhaps cleared it up. In all three versions there is plenty of lush greenery!!!! Perhaps you are remembering things the way you want them to be and not the way the filmmakers made them?

Also, I noticed on the night-time rainy scene where Dr. Loomis and the nurse are talking the rain has been enhanced so much it actually reflects a lot of the light. I don't recall it doing this in the 2007 release. The overall look at the 35th blu-ray returns a film-like grain to the print. I liked it, and the editors at bluray.com did, as well.

UPDATE AFTER WRITING THE ABOVE: I have the 30th Anniversary box set which includes the THX-DVD. So, I looked at it, and it looks more like the 35th Anniversary than the 2007 Blu-Ray. If the attachment feature works, look at this (horrible) screen pic of the DVD: 'Halloween: 35th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review-halloween.jpg
So, I am not sure. Maybe there is a color timing issue, maybe not. Perhaps the remastering into HD will not allow for it?

One final thing:
Screenvision, a national leader in cinema advertising sales, services and content distribution, has teamed up with Compass International Pictures and Trancas International Films to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the 1978 classic, "John Carpenter's Halloween," with a series of HALLOWEEN films on the big screen. The celebration begins in October with the nationwide release of "John Carpenter's Halloween" and continues through the month with "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" and "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" in select theaters. Each of these films will be presented in a striking, new HD transfer and 5.1 audio.

The films are being advertised everywhere I have looked as "new" transfers.

More: http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/scr...193800858.html

Last edited by jdprice74; 09-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I prefer the look of this disc over the 2007 one, but not enough to upgrade...maybe when this version hits the bargain bins.