'The Lords of Salem' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Default 'The Lords of Salem' - High-Def Digest Review

Bryan has reviewed 'The Lords of Salem.' This is recommended for Halloween. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9117/lords_salem.html
Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM

You are the only one who said this movie was good. Of course, you said it is Zombie's best movie to date, but it's not like he has ever set that bar high. Nevertheless, I'll pass as I haven't touched a Zombie movie since his Halloween remake. The man needs to go back to making music because he is certainly no director.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Gotta say that I fully agree and that I loved this movie, easily his best film to date and a real turn from what he's done before, this isnt some crazy over the top gore fest, or nutso edited music video film, this is classic stuff from the start. Slow moving, excellently shot, you really wouldnt think this was a Zombie movie at all if it wasnt for his wife being in it.

Never thought I would see Meg Foster like this though, lol, why couldnt I have seen the Meg Foster from the They Live days like this? Not a pretty sight

But I would highly recommend this to fans of the genre and fans of Zombie, its a filmed version of a nightmare that progressively gets worse and the end gets all kinds of messed up
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Another vote for didn't like. I almost liked it, I wanted to like it, just couldn't. Calling it tedious and slow is putting it mildly. This movie was Zombie doing his best Polanski tribute film, what can I say, Polanski did it better.

In the plus column, I was anticipating the problem with the movie being Sheri Moon Zombie, but she turned in an excellent performance, the fault with the movie is in no way hers.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM

Didn't Rob Zombie retire after Halloween 2, call himself a terrible director, and say he was never going back to directing again?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Yes, this could pass as Zombie's best movie, but as Kain pointed out, it isn't like he set the bar high in the first place. I hate Zombie's movies, but his efforts here show some improvement. I'd say it's decently well-made. This is just one long homage to 1970s occult horror films. in fact, he imitates many of the visuals and styles from those movies none too subtly, which is basically why I don't like his movies.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 09-25-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The man needs to go back to making music because he is certainly no director.
He never stopped.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM

I thought The Devil's Rejects was a great flick. Have not cared for any of Zombie's other movies. This one looked interesting, might check it out down the road.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 PM

After watching this today, I was a bit more mixed. I think he's got a good eye for composing shots in a way that makes for some memorable scenes. But the story needed some tightening, there was still a certain amount of weird for the sake of being weird, and similar ground was recently covered by The House of the Devil. So this just made me want to re-watch that one.

Still, entirely watchable, and a little less bleak than Devil's Rejects.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 AM

I think Zombie has done very well as a director. House Of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects were excellent. And while I know I'm in the minority, I really thought his Halloween was far better than the massively overrated original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Yes, this could pass as Zombie's best movie, but as Kain pointed out, it isn't like he set the bar high in the first place. I hate Zombie's movies, but his efforts here show some improvement. I'd say it's decently well-made. This is just one long homage to 1970s occult horror films. in fact, he imitates many of the visuals and styles from those movies none too subtly, which is basically why I don't like his movies.
Does that make him a horror version of Depalma?