'Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins.' He say you can skip this. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9659...l_origins.html
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

As I suspected - a 'money-grab' indeed. I really have to wonder whose idea it was and what the thought process was behind releasing this disc. Was it just an executive with his feet up on a desk that came up with the idea at a release with minimal effort and expense and lots of profit?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 PM

One to pick up when it hits the $5 bin.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 AM

I don't know which one upsets me more. Yes, this is a more obvious cash grab, but with no worthwhile features to speak of, at least I know I can skip this. But with the TNG 2-partners having solid new features, it makes me tempted despite having paid through the nose for the season sets.

Whatever. Hopefully all this money making makes them invest in DS9 remasters.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 AM

"Also, if 'Space Seed' seems like a rather average episode to you, that's because it is. It's a bit of revisionist history (you know, like an altered timeline!) that this was always one of fans' favorite episodes. The fact is that 'Space Seed' was hardly ever mentioned in the top five or so series favorites until after 1982 (when The Wrath of Khan was released)."

this is wrong. Personally I love Space Seed but Nicholas Meyer not really a Trek fan at the time went through all 79 episodes and settled on SS as one of the most likely candidates to build a story around, primarily how open ended it ended. No one ever said SS was ever a fan favorite. But I see no reason including it here because with the success of Kahn it has made SS much more relevant.

Ultimately the problem with the entire release is -- any ST fan worth his salt creature already has these episodes.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
But I see no reason including it here because with the success of Kahn it has made SS much more relevant.

Ultimately the problem with the entire release is -- any ST fan worth his salt creature already has these episodes.
I think that is the entire point - this isn't aimed at hardcore fans, this is aimed at new fans of the new movies, hence the inclusion of Space Seed. It seems like it is a sampler to introduce new fans to classic Trek. Not a horrible idea, but I agree with Shannon - this should have been thrown in as a bonus disc with Into Darkness.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
"Also, if 'Space Seed' seems like a rather average episode to you, that's because it is. It's a bit of revisionist history (you know, like an altered timeline!) that this was always one of fans' favorite episodes. The fact is that 'Space Seed' was hardly ever mentioned in the top five or so series favorites until after 1982 (when The Wrath of Khan was released)."

this is wrong. Personally I love Space Seed but Nicholas Meyer not really a Trek fan at the time went through all 79 episodes and settled on SS as one of the most likely candidates to build a story around, primarily how open ended it ended. No one ever said SS was ever a fan favorite. But I see no reason including it here because with the success of Kahn it has made SS much more relevant.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, since we agree 100 percent. I was trying to convey that if you ask fans to list their top 5 original episodes now, 'Space Seed' is going to make the list 9 out of 10 times. However, if you asked fans prior to 1982 what their favorite episodes were, it's unlikely that 'Space Seed' would have made the top 5, and probably not the top 10 either. However, there ARE a group of die hards out there who insist that 'Space Seed' was always considered one of TOS best shows. Most of them weren't even born yet in 1982.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, since we agree 100 percent. I was trying to convey that if you ask fans to list their top 5 original episodes now, 'Space Seed' is going to make the list 9 out of 10 times. However, if you asked fans prior to 1982 what their favorite episodes were, it's unlikely that 'Space Seed' would have made the top 5, and probably not the top 10 either. However, there ARE a group of die hards out there who insist that 'Space Seed' was always considered one of TOS best shows. Most of them weren't even born yet in 1982.
Is this really a problem? I mean, if you asked Star Wars fans what they thought of The Empire Strikes Back in 1980, a huge percentage of them would have said: "That sucked. It doesn't even have an ending. The first movie was way better." Appreciation for it grew over time. Now it's almost universally considered the best movie in that franchise.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Is this really a problem? I mean, if you asked Star Wars fans what they thought of The Empire Strikes Back in 1980, a huge percentage of them would have said: "That sucked. It doesn't even have an ending. The first movie was way better." Appreciation for it grew over time. Now it's almost universally considered the best movie in that franchise.
Respectfully disagree. I think the concensus out of the gate was that ESB was fantastic.

The difference here is that 'Space Seed' had been around for 15 years before TWOK, and it wasn't until the movie that appreciation for the episode grew. Anyway, the comment about 'Space Seed' was just intended as a sidenote in my review.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM

In fairness to High Definition, the replacement of actors with stuntmen was ALWAYS "laughably evident."