'Star Trek into Darkness' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM

Default 'Star Trek into Darkness' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh Zyber has reviewed 'Star Trek into Darkness'. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9267/st_darkness.html
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 AM

Don't forget the Director's commentary is only available in the iTunes version as an "extra".
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Did you even watch the movie? A 3/5 is FAR from what this movie deserves. It is one of the best movies of the year, and easily should be at least a 4/5, especially since it was better than the first one.

Now I do agree about the bonus features. In fact, I refuse to buy this until they put ALL of the features on it. There is no reason to cut out stuff, especially the commentary. And who the hell wants to buy their movie to watch on a small ass iwhatever?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Meanwhile, I thought Josh was being generous with the "3".

There's really two camps of thought on this movie. One (which both Josh and myself fall into) that can't forgive how poorly written and plotted the story is, and another that forgives how silly the script is due to the fact that the movie is well-paced, well-acted, and visually appealing.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 AM

I just saw it a couple of days ago. It was an entertaining summer popcorn movie, with a terribly shallow, contrived story. Up until the point where Nero pops in from the future and destroys Vulcan and a big chunk of Star Fleet, the modified Star Trek universe was the same, so the Eugenics Wars happened and the SS Botany Bay and its 72 surviving super men was out there to be found (Khan Noonien Singh was one of the 72, which the movie gets wrong). I didn't have any problem with them using him in the story, but they kind of wasted a great character. Of course, he's still alive in suspended animation, possibly to be revived by some other idiot.

IMO this was in no way as good as the first, which was just about perfect, but it was fun anyway . I'd probably give it 4 out of 5 stars for its entertainment value.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 AM

What the hell were listening to this on? Audio is reference. While not as good as the first it's still a 4 star movie.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Meanwhile, I thought Josh was being generous with the "3".

There's really two camps of thought on this movie. One (which both Josh and myself fall into) that can't forgive how poorly written and plotted the story is, and another that forgives how silly the script is due to the fact that the movie is well-paced, well-acted, and visually appealing.
I agree 100%. I am in the first camp as well. 3 is VERY generous for this film. This film is a number 2 at best.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
It is one of the best movies of the year...
LMAO

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Not as good as the previous one but still better than most of what was released this summer. The picture and sound is top notch so this is a day one pickup for me since I don't care about special features.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM

It isn't as good as the 2009's Trek, But it was still one of my favorite films this summer . Though you can see where Damon Lindelof idiot intrusions takes place in the some of the writing. It's still a good film just not a great one.