'The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season' - HIgh-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Default 'The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season' - HIgh-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7895...g_dead_s3.html
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM

I'm really surprised. I thought the third season was a huge step up from the second season. They spent less time arguing, and more time invested in the relationships between the characters. Carol and Daryl are getting closer, we got some unexpected development with Merle, and we ended the season with a nice little arc in the last episode that dealt with how Rick wants Carl to understand the world.

There were still some serious missteps with the Governor, particularly compared to the comic, where he's much more of a straight-ahead villain. They had a hard time maintaining an even arc for him, but overall, he did descend further into outright madness. And I think his bizarre confidence in walking around in firefights was part of the point of his character. Especially after his 'daughter' dies, he lives to fight, but doesn't actually care about surviving.

The inability to hit living targets is a really strange complaint. As soon as a target is moving in something other than a straight line, it gets much harder to hit them. They typically get their headshots on zombies from about 10-20 feet away, which seems pretty reasonable.

I thought that the picture quality on the second season was a step down from the first season's quality. That may have been that the brighter lighting on the fields in the second season may have shown more grain.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Thanks for the honest review, Aaron. While I don't dislike the show as much as you do, I agree with almost all of your points - sad to say, things don't appear as if they're going to improve much in Season 4, since AMC kind of insisted the producers keep using the prison set for at least the first half of the season.

Agree with you about Shane - he was my favorite character on the show. Basically, when Frank Darabont was fired as showrunner, many of the actors he had hand-picked started to leave the show as well. WALKING DEAD with Shane and Dale was FAR more interesting than WALKING DEAD without them.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
The inability to hit living targets is a really strange complaint. As soon as a target is moving in something other than a straight line, it gets much harder to hit them. They typically get their headshots on zombies from about 10-20 feet away, which seems pretty reasonable.
The season two finale featured a headshot shooting gallery where our fearless heroes jumped in a truck and drove around while blasting zombies directly between the eyes. There are countless times where they're running, jumping and diving as they blow away zombies without ever missing. Even Carl is a crack shot with his huge makeshift silencer.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 PM

I disagree and agree.

The 1st half of the season was brisk and super suspenseful. The 2nd half was slow as hell and crap.

I've always said that this show is a solid 7 or 8. Not top tier but entertaining. Season 3 though ended so bad and so boring that i'm not excited for season 4 at all.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 PM

It's true, imo, the show is growing less interesting. I've read all the comics and loved the show anyway because, well, it's a show and what it altered from the comics gave you a bit of what-if scenarios. I couldn't wait to see the governor but what we got was very toned down and COMIC
Spoiler
Rick still has his two arms! Thats had such an impact in the overall story and our perception of the Guv
Overall, I too, find this show feels stalled. I hope season 4 will pick me up again
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Spoiler
At the end of the season, the governor's still alive and they're still in the prison. Basically, 16 hours of narrative later, the writers managed to somehow end exactly where they started. So, I ask, what was the point of the season then?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
Agree with you about Shane - he was my favorite character on the show. Basically, when Frank Darabont was fired as showrunner, many of the actors he had hand-picked started to leave the show as well. WALKING DEAD with Shane and Dale was FAR more interesting than WALKING DEAD without them.
Agree. Supposedly Shane had to go in order to follow the comic, but, well Darryl isn't even in the comics. The show lost it's most interesting character with Shane gone. And the group lost its most skilled warrior.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartozki View Post
It's true, imo, the show is growing less interesting. I've read all the comics and loved the show anyway because, well, it's a show and what it altered from the comics gave you a bit of what-if scenarios. I couldn't wait to see the governor but what we got was very toned down and COMIC
Spoiler
Rick still has his two arms! Thats had such an impact in the overall story and our perception of the Guv
Overall, I too, find this show feels stalled. I hope season 4 will pick me up again
Spoiler
As far as the arm thing, Kirkman himself has said he regrets having Rick's arm cut off because it has limited what he can do with the character.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Season 3 had it's good points, and some bad. Generally, I enjoyed it. So definitely not a fanboy here. However, in keeping things honest, I think it's time to get someone else reviewing 'The Walking Dead' moving forward.