Criterion Dual Format Editions? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Criterion Dual Format Editions?

So I was looking at Zatoichi and City Lights on Amazon, and see that these are listed as "Dual Format Editions" with Blu-Ray & DVD. Based on City Light's listed price, it seems like this won't be bumping up the cost ($39.99).

Does anyone have any info on these types of releases? I'd imagine it would be two seperate discs, and not a flip disc...leading to dual disc clear Criterion cases?

I'd also imagine that this would be for titles that have not been released on DVD prior...but there are quite a few "new" titles released across both formats, at $39.99 & $29.99 each.

Another question...typically on Criterion DVDs, are all the great supplements on the same disc as the movie, or on a seperate disc. I ask because, if they are on the same disc, wouldn't that mean you'd get DVD & Blu-Ray copies of those features? Seems nice, but unnessicary.

I just hope that if this is the new way going forward, the prices (as they appear to) remain as they are. Criterion titles are expensive enough as it is, I don't need to be spending extra for a DVD I have little use for.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Criterion explains the decision and how it will work:

http://www.criterion.com/current/pos...hy-dual-format
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM

That was an amazing explanation. How anybody could criticize the move after reading that is beyond me.

I certainly don't mind because it means I get the DVD copy for free, and can play the special features on any PC or disc player.

Glad to hear that they are doing well sales-wise. I would have thought that Blu-ray is more than 60% of their sales, but I guess the schools and libraries account for a decent share of DVD sales.

I wonder when the major studios will start releasing combo only and lose the DVD sku on new releases?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I wonder when the major studios will start releasing combo only and lose the DVD sku on new releases?
I surprised Disney didn't pull the trigger out-right already. The other studios, not so much.

fitprod
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Criterion explains the decision and how it will work:

http://www.criterion.com/current/pos...hy-dual-format
Thanks for the link! I does make a lot of sense as a way of keeping up the quality of their packages. I should have thought to look on Criterion's website lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
I surprised Disney didn't pull the trigger out-right already. The other studios, not so much.

fitprod
What I find odd, and a bit of a waste, is how Disney releases their BD/DVD/UV combos in Blu-Ray cases & in DVD cases. I'm sure there are some OCD buyers who like this, but this must increase production cost for little payoff.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Thanks for the link! I does make a lot of sense as a way of keeping up the quality of their packages. I should have thought to look on Criterion's website lol.

What I find odd, and a bit of a waste, is how Disney releases their BD/DVD/UV combos in Blu-Ray cases & in DVD cases. I'm sure there are some OCD buyers who like this, but this must increase production cost for little payoff.
The difference between Disney and Criterion is volume. Disney sales are in the hundreds of thousands or millions, which makes offering multiple SKUs advantageous. Criterion's sales are a small fraction of Disney so they can't enjoy the luxury like Disney can.