'Lord of the Flies' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 PM

Default 'Lord of the Flies' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has the conch, and he's using it to deliver his review of 'Lord of the Flies.' He says the Criterion edition has delivered this film to Blu-ray with excellent video, solid audio, and lots of extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4455/lord_flies.html
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Why did I think this was a color film? Maybe I am thinking of a later version?

When I read this book in high school I found it very chilling and scary actually.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Why did I think this was a color film? Maybe I am thinking of a later version?
There was another version done in the late 80s (released 1990). It was in color. The boys are from an American military academy in that one from some reason.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Aaron has made a mistake in his description of the film. He has the main characters (and actors playing them) reversed. Quote: ". A militant band of nefarious spear chuckers doesn't agree with the way Jack (Tom Chapin) is handling leadership duties. Ralph (James Aubrey) rises up as a warlord of sorts.." It's the other way around. "Ralph" is the sensible leader, "Jack" the "warlord." Great review of a great film---and a superb Criterion Blu-ray release!!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
There was another version done in the late 80s (released 1990). It was in color. The boys are from an American military academy in that one from some reason.
The reason being that it makes the movie more relevant for American audiences. It's a common change when Hollywood adapts books and/or remakes foreign films. That, and there's probably an unfortunate average feeling amongst movie-goers that if a movie is a remake of a foreign film, then what's the point in keeping it the same? "If I wanted to see a French movie then I would have watched the original." That kind of thing.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM

I've somehow managed never to read the book or see either film... Might have to get this one eventually.