'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 ' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 ' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 .' This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5233...ek_tng_s4.html
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM

"I'd like to say in advance, in order to get this review out in a somewhat timely manner, I wasn't able to listen to all of the commentaries."

I would rather prefer that all reviewers listened to all the commentaries, but let's
face it, the audio commentaries weren't going to make or break anyone's
purchase decision for this.

And frankly, the honesty is refreshing. I highly doubt all reviewers really did listen
to all 3 audio commentaries of XYZ movie, diligently taking notes, tall cup of
coffee in hand to never doze off.

-----

I'm only a passing fan; college roommates were hard-core fans. So is this true?
This is the best TNG season for this reason: "We say goodbye to a regular in
Wesley."

Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end,
then maybe season 5 is the best.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
"I'd like to say in advance, in order to get this review out in a somewhat timely manner, I wasn't able to listen to all of the commentaries."

I would rather prefer that all reviewers listened to all the commentaries, but let's
face it, the audio commentaries weren't going to make or break anyone's
purchase decision for this.

And frankly, the honesty is refreshing. I highly doubt all reviewers really did listen
to all 3 audio commentaries of XYZ movie, diligently taking notes, tall cup of
coffee in hand to never doze off.

-----

I'm only a passing fan; college roommates were hard-core fans. So is this true?
This is the best TNG season for this reason: "We say goodbye to a regular in
Wesley."

Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end,
then maybe season 5 is the best.
Everytime Wesley appeared he annoyed me. He was fine in small doses but they tried to use him too much as the "kid connection" for the audience. When he left, man, it was so much nicer.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end, then maybe season 5 is the best.
He leaves in "Final Mission" which is the 9th episode of the season. (Although he did come back in a few guest appearances later on.)

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
He leaves in "Final Mission" which is the 9th episode of the season. (Although he did come back in a few guest appearances later on.)
Ironically, I think the episodes that are Wesley-centric after he leaves the show are all pretty good. Especially First Duty and Journey's End. His role on the show was annoying, but they found interesting episodes for him after he was a regular, beginning with Final Mission.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Everytime Wesley appeared he annoyed me. He was fine in small doses but they tried to use him too much as the "kid connection" for the audience. When he left, man, it was so much nicer.
Wesley never bothered me as a character beyond Season 1. In Season 1 he was this boy genius always saving the ship...in Season 2, they toned that down, made him an officer and was shown much more as a young crewman with an aptitude in science.

I just picked up this set a few days ago, but still have to get through much of Season 3 first - I've been loving these sets (even Season 2, with its minor video issues, was great fun). Season 4 is one of my favorites (I absolutely LOVE the episode 'Family').
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM

I was so glad they got rid of Wesley. He was annoying.

I'm glad they kept his mom, what a MILF-crush I had on her LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I was so glad they got rid of Wesley. He was annoying.

Yeah she was super hot in that big blue jacket with shoulder pads that made her look like an NFL linebacker.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
She did not act so well in the episode where she commanded the ship, I want to say when we saw the Borg Hughe again. She had to take the Enterprise into the coronosphere of a sun and the metaphasic shields that worked so great in a previous episode did not work so well this go round.

Looks like once again we can thank Target for a lower price on release week.

I would assume the high AV marks are for the fact there are no actual flaws and that the source look and sounds as good as it ever can.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 AM

I'm currently in the process of watching this. I think I am on disk 3, the last episode on the disk. Quite a good season so far.

One thing I noticed (honestly! I couldn't help noticing, what with the increase of video resolution and quality XD), is that there was an increase in ermmmm, nipplage in this season. Maybe it was just as 'bad/good' in previous seasons, but I guess they shoot on a air conditioned set and the women don't wear bras XD It was especially obvious in one or two episodes with Beverly in particular. Bonus ratings ahoy! Of course, Deanna has always had her form fitting outfit, which has led to some (possibly intentional) revealing moments.