'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 ' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 ' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 4 .' This is highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5233...ek_tng_s4.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

"I'd like to say in advance, in order to get this review out in a somewhat timely manner, I wasn't able to listen to all of the commentaries."

I would rather prefer that all reviewers listened to all the commentaries, but let's
face it, the audio commentaries weren't going to make or break anyone's
purchase decision for this.

And frankly, the honesty is refreshing. I highly doubt all reviewers really did listen
to all 3 audio commentaries of XYZ movie, diligently taking notes, tall cup of
coffee in hand to never doze off.

-----

I'm only a passing fan; college roommates were hard-core fans. So is this true?
This is the best TNG season for this reason: "We say goodbye to a regular in
Wesley."

Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end,
then maybe season 5 is the best.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
CorruptedDragon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
"I'd like to say in advance, in order to get this review out in a somewhat timely manner, I wasn't able to listen to all of the commentaries."

I would rather prefer that all reviewers listened to all the commentaries, but let's
face it, the audio commentaries weren't going to make or break anyone's
purchase decision for this.

And frankly, the honesty is refreshing. I highly doubt all reviewers really did listen
to all 3 audio commentaries of XYZ movie, diligently taking notes, tall cup of
coffee in hand to never doze off.

-----

I'm only a passing fan; college roommates were hard-core fans. So is this true?
This is the best TNG season for this reason: "We say goodbye to a regular in
Wesley."

Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end,
then maybe season 5 is the best.
Everytime Wesley appeared he annoyed me. He was fine in small doses but they tried to use him too much as the "kid connection" for the audience. When he left, man, it was so much nicer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM
paaron46's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Does he leave towards the beginning of the season? Or the end? If it's the end, then maybe season 5 is the best.
He leaves in "Final Mission" which is the 9th episode of the season. (Although he did come back in a few guest appearances later on.)
__________________
Become a FAN of The Reel Place!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
He leaves in "Final Mission" which is the 9th episode of the season. (Although he did come back in a few guest appearances later on.)
Ironically, I think the episodes that are Wesley-centric after he leaves the show are all pretty good. Especially First Duty and Journey's End. His role on the show was annoying, but they found interesting episodes for him after he was a regular, beginning with Final Mission.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
ShannonNutt's Avatar
HDD Reviewer/Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Everytime Wesley appeared he annoyed me. He was fine in small doses but they tried to use him too much as the "kid connection" for the audience. When he left, man, it was so much nicer.
Wesley never bothered me as a character beyond Season 1. In Season 1 he was this boy genius always saving the ship...in Season 2, they toned that down, made him an officer and was shown much more as a young crewman with an aptitude in science.

I just picked up this set a few days ago, but still have to get through much of Season 3 first - I've been loving these sets (even Season 2, with its minor video issues, was great fun). Season 4 is one of my favorites (I absolutely LOVE the episode 'Family').
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

I was so glad they got rid of Wesley. He was annoying.

I'm glad they kept his mom, what a MILF-crush I had on her LOL
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
paaron46's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I was so glad they got rid of Wesley. He was annoying.

I'm glad they kept his mom, what a MILF-crush I had on her LOL
Yeah she was super hot in that big blue jacket with shoulder pads that made her look like an NFL linebacker.
__________________
Become a FAN of The Reel Place!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I'm glad they kept his mom, what a MILF-crush I had on her LOL
She did not act so well in the episode where she commanded the ship, I want to say when we saw the Borg Hughe again. She had to take the Enterprise into the coronosphere of a sun and the metaphasic shields that worked so great in a previous episode did not work so well this go round.

Looks like once again we can thank Target for a lower price on release week.

I would assume the high AV marks are for the fact there are no actual flaws and that the source look and sounds as good as it ever can.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Shadow of Death's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,591
Default

I'm currently in the process of watching this. I think I am on disk 3, the last episode on the disk. Quite a good season so far.

One thing I noticed (honestly! I couldn't help noticing, what with the increase of video resolution and quality XD), is that there was an increase in ermmmm, nipplage in this season. Maybe it was just as 'bad/good' in previous seasons, but I guess they shoot on a air conditioned set and the women don't wear bras XD It was especially obvious in one or two episodes with Beverly in particular. Bonus ratings ahoy! Of course, Deanna has always had her form fitting outfit, which has led to some (possibly intentional) revealing moments.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 6' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 19 12-23-2014 10:00 PM
'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 27 12-11-2013 02:42 PM
'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 2' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 28 10-23-2013 11:19 PM
'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 ' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 126 08-02-2013 11:03 PM
'Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 20 03-31-2012 01:12 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off