'Banshee: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 PM

Default 'Banshee: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Banshee: The Complete First Season.' He says this is another nice surprise from Cinemax. With great video and audio, this is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8922/banshee_s1.html
Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 PM

Sorry to say, but IMHO this was one of the worst shows recently on TV.
The antagonist got beat up in every episode; even though he is anything but cute, he would have at least one sexual encounter in each episode with different women and he and also his ex-girlfriend would be able to walk out of the IC shortly after been beaten close to death. I believe it was episode 10, maybe 9 were his ex fights a mop tough guy for way over 20 minutes. What was that about? The writers must have run out of ideas for that one. And, as mentioned before, after been beaten to mush, she left the IC after roughly 2 hours AND was able to fight more bad guys another 1/2 hour later. Wow! This show has bad writing and bad acting on its side. Best character by far was the Korean cross-dresser. Every scene with him elevated the show for that duration.
Cheers
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post
Sorry to say, but IMHO this was one of the worst shows recently on TV.
The antagonist got beat up in every episode; even though he is anything but cute, he would have at least one sexual encounter in each episode with different women and he and also his ex-girlfriend would be able to walk out of the IC shortly after been beaten close to death. I believe it was episode 10, maybe 9 were his ex fights a mop tough guy for way over 20 minutes. What was that about? The writers must have run out of ideas for that one. And, as mentioned before, after been beaten to mush, she left the IC after roughly 2 hours AND was able to fight more bad guys another 1/2 hour later. Wow! This show has bad writing and bad acting on its side. Best character by far was the Korean cross-dresser. Every scene with him elevated the show for that duration.
Cheers
This is what bothered me with this show and Strike Back seasons 1 & 2. Nothing wrong with some nudity and sex scenes provided they work with the flow of the movie or tv show. But it seems the writers went out of their way to add it into every episode.

As far as this show, I could not make it past episode four before giving up on it. I agree with your opinion on the writing of the show. I feel Strike Back is better when they focus on the main objectives of each episode. The random sex with random women, some while on the verge of being attacked, takes away from the show imo.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
This is what bothered me with this show and Strike Back seasons 1 & 2. Nothing wrong with some nudity and sex scenes provided they work with the flow of the movie or tv show. But it seems the writers went out of their way to add it into every episode.

As far as this show, I could not make it past episode four before giving up on it. I agree with your opinion on the writing of the show. I feel Strike Back is better when they focus on the main objectives of each episode. The random sex with random women, some while on the verge of being attacked, takes away from the show imo.
Now I have to agree with you.
My wife and I really liked Strike Back despite the fact that, as you mentioned, the one guy would have sex in the middle of the most unlikely situations. The first 2 episodes we just had a chuckle, after that it got embarrassing (for the writers).
Old 07-31-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Banshee is Great Fun

I heartily agree with Aaron's review. All his comments were spot on.

I would add that the commentary for the pilot episode is among the more insightful I've experienced. It helped me appreciate that the artistry, techniques, and subtext to the show were deeper than I at first understood. The episodes are very enjoyable, such that I have viewed many of them several times with friends who are unanimous in sharing my positive reactions.

The violence is a bit extreme, and the nudity extensive. The hero fights in a no rules, street-fight style, because he's learned in prison it's the only way to survive. As for the nudity, gratuitous or not, it is filmed beautifully, some of the best I've seen on the screen. And the commentary tract points out that more often than not, the sex scenes add to our understanding of the characters and their motivation. While generally I have some skepticism regarding that, they do have a valid point. Again, listen to the commentary, and you may be persuaded by their reasoning especially for the scene of the hero's ex having sex with her current husband as she fantasizes about her former lover.

At any rate, great acting, superior action, interesting plotting, rich characters and great cinematography. My greatest new find in 2013 (although the shows were first broadcast in 2012).
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 PM

I really enjoyed the show and look forward to next season. It's very pulp like. EVERYTHING is gratuitous. That's a big part of the charm. I really liked Ivana Milicevic.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 AM

Aaron makes this sound pretty good. I might have to check it out.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I liked Aaron's comment that he was glad this wasn't another vampire show, as BANSHEE is one of the projects Alan Ball turned his attention towards after leaving TRUE BLOOD. I believe he's either a producer or an exec producer on this series. I've been meaning to check this out...probably will take a look at it thanks to Aaron's review.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM

I just noticed the other night that my Blu-Ray copy of 'Strike Back - Season 2' came with the pilot episode of Banshee on a separate disc. I gotta give it a shot.