'Trance' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 PM

Default 'Trance' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven has reviewed 'Trance.' He says this isn't quite up to par with Danny Boyle's best, but it's still well worth checking out. With strong video and audio, along with a few worthwhile extras, this Blu-ray is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9341/trance.html
Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 AM

Rosario Dawson fan's shouldn't miss this!
Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
Rosario Dawson fan's shouldn't miss this!
I read this post the other day. Then watched the movie.

One particular shot, I was like, "Oooooh, so THAT is what that post meant!"

In terms of the movie itself...

I'm a pretty big Danny Boyle fan. '28 Days Later' and 'Trainspotting' are easily in my top 10 favorite movies. (With 'Shallow Grave' floating around in the top 50 somewhere) So I went into this actually thinking that this movie looked fairly straightforward, and thus a "lesser" of his films. I'm glad I was wrong! Not my favorite of his films, but I think I'll find it more rewatchable than 'Slumdog'.

The movie felt like...a Christopher Nolan plot, with dialog akin to 'Trainpsotting' (that whole opening monolog where security protocol is rattled off is just like the TS opening monolog), and the visual confusion throughout as well as the panicy feel ending like '28 Days Later'.

I'm also a big film noir fan. So this movie should be right up my alley...but...while I said before it was more rewatchable (for me) than 'Slumdog', I don't feel I'll walk away with anything upon 2nd viewing that I didn't walk away with the first time. The early "clues" were pointed out to such a degree that I clearly remembered them when later in the film when they were clarified. I don't know if there was anything so subtle that I'd ONLY notice my 2nd time through.

Also, with film noirs, one aspect that I love that keeps me rewatching certain movies is the characters. The characters are typically a little over the top...like a very tough tough guy, or very seductive seductress. Here, my perspective of the characters were constantly shifting. To the movie's credit, that's what makes it work, and it's pretty cool. But at the end you have a bunch of characters all thrown into a big mess, and everyone being equally likeable and reprehensable. No Mike Hammer from 'Kiss Me Deadly'.

So while I can still watch '28 Days Later' for the thrills, and 'Trainspotting' to ponder life, I guess I can rewatch 'Trance' for...Rosario Dawson lol.

Last edited by NJScorpio; 08-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Amazing! After watching this, I did something I rarely do. I went to the main
menu and selected "play" again (the whole film again, not just the infamous
Rosario Dawson scene).

The music and sound effects worked so well.

"Rhythmic and deliberate, the movie's sound design perfectly enhances the film's mind-bending tempo, using music and effects to bolster the visual editing."
Steven, your words are right on.

The visual images of color, water, glass, reflections, camera movement, camera
perspective; the movie really was a canvas for Boyle to paint on. How apt this
heist film for an invaluable painting was also a work of visual art.

Boyle has really become one of the best directors around.

Steven, I questioned why you would recommend your 3.5 star film as 1 of your
top 3 essential picks for July.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...uly_2013/12233

I now question, why you didn't rate Trance with a higher score than 3.5 stars?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
So while I can still watch '28 Days Later' for the thrills, and 'Trainspotting' to ponder life, I guess I can rewatch 'Trance' for...Rosario Dawson lol.
I can rewatch Trance for being such a well-crafted, thrilling film, to ponder who we
are, to ponder why we "choose" to remember or "choose" to forget, and also for
Rosario Dawson.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM

Just watched this last night. Very good movie. I'll have to watch it again and I'll admit it Rosario is a BIG part of that. Not just for one of the most beautiful shots Hollywood has ever produced but just to pick up on any of the threads I missed the first time through.