'Olympus Has Fallen' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Default 'Olympus Has Fallen' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Olympus Has Fallen.' If you're able to suspend your disbelief, this plot-hole ridden White House thriller still manages to be a fun ride. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9140...us_fallen.html
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM

"Oh well, at least Ashley Judd is out of the way..."

hmmm...strike 1 for the movie...

Seriously, this looks like something I'll rent at least. The review makes it sound better than the trailers did.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM

The movie is actually pretty decent. I thought it was a lot of fun, but someone else described it as "Die Hard in the White House."
Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 PM

Four stars? Someone is apparently popping the happy pills. Yes, you could describe it as "Die Hard in the White House" if Die Hard was beyond stupid and contained plot holes the size of the White House. Honestly, this was nothing but plot holes. Why would I feel violated by the attack on the White House? It was so stupidly unrealistic that it's hard not to laugh at it. Wave after wave of secret service agent idiotically running out the front door to be gunned down by bad guys they are obviously aware are out there. God forbid they do something intelligent and take up tactical positions by the windows and doors. The inane, pointless subplot of the president's kid. The whole rooftop scene that practically lifted direct from Die Hard. The general who makes George W. Bush look like Mensa material. The 3 codes that apparently are only 6 digits long and take about 2 minutes to hack yet they sit around torturing people for them. And of course the traitor "twist" that was anything but a surprise. It was stupid. Really stupid.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM

Um first of all? The more seriously a dumb action movie takes itself, the worse off it is. I'll take a White House Down anyday because yeah it was stupid, but at least it was self-aware.

Second of all, Gerard Butler is NOT tough.

And finally, to Shannon, even when a movie is ridiculous like this it's not cool to spend most of your review recapping/spoiling the plot. Put on your creative hat next time.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
Um first of all? The more seriously a dumb action movie takes itself, the worse off it is. I'll take a White House Down anyday because yeah it was stupid, but at least it was self-aware.

And finally, to Shannon, even when a movie is ridiculous like this it's not cool to spend most of your review recapping/spoiling the plot. Put on your creative hat next time.
He's tougher than Channing Tatum. Seems smarter too.

I agree with the reviewer though, this movie was stupid but at the same time entertaining. I think (for me at least) the fact that this movie didn't shy away from violence for the sake of getting a PG-13 rating, but instead wore it's R rating proudly had a lot to do with my enjoyment of it. Action movies have been getting more and more watered down and it was refreshing to watch one that wasn't (from an action stand point at least. So yeah, definitely NOT a good movie, but entertaining for sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post

I'll watch Battleship over this turd any day.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM

The reason why I hate this movie was because it's way too serious, I prefer the silly yet fun White House Down. Both aren't great cinemas but at least WHD didn't try to be anything more than a silly action flick.

Oh yeah, the special effects in this film were awful! They looked like something from the late 1990s.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I'll watch Battleship over this turd any day.
As would I. I actually enjoy and own Battleship. It's silly and it knows it. That whole chicken burrito opening is just hysterical. It never takes itself too serious and has fun working in a version of the board game into the plot. Pure cheesy awesomeness.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
As would I. I actually enjoy and own Battleship. It's silly and it knows it. That whole chicken burrito opening is just hysterical. It never takes itself too serious and has fun working in a version of the board game into the plot. Pure cheesy awesomeness.
I agree 100% with you. The chicken burrito skit WAS hilarious, and how they used it in the end I thought was really great. Such a fun/cheesy movie. I own it too and have watched it repeatedly. Plus Brooklyn Decker looks so hot throughout it. The CGI was really good too. The CGI in Olympus Has Fallen is just bad.