'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' (Season 5 & Complete Series) coming October 15 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Default 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' (Season 5 & Complete Series) coming October 15

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9748...e_wars_s5.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9749..._complete.html
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM

The series is over?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Yes, the series is over. It's not "completed", it's just over.

Cartoon Network is not a Disney property. Disney bought Lucasfilms, and once
again art suffers from corporate greed.

Maybe, just maybe Disney might allow the Clone Wars to come back on the
Disney Channel or whatever.

The series format allowed so much more in the storytelling/character development/
minor character's story arcs... that the movies could not do.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Wait, so they made people watch the show for 5 years and didn't bother to give it an ending?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Wait, so they made people watch the show for 5 years and didn't bother to give it an ending?
From the start, it wasn't like they knew it was going to go on for 5 years. There
wasn't a 5 year plan with a grand finale planned at the end.

The Clone Wars occur between Episode 2 & Episode 3, so what ending could the
series really have anyway? Episode 3 ends the Clone Wars.

I can't imagine there's a person out there who has watched Episodes 1 & 2, and
is watching the Clone Wars seasons until they end before watching Episodes 3,
4, 5, & 6. So this is not a spoiler.

Part of why the Clone Wars was so good, was that we knew the ending that the
Jedi will be betrayed by the clones. And how the series explores the relationships
between the Jedi and the clones made that upcoming event more interesting.

If Disney did not buy Lucasfilms, would we have a Season 6? I would say yes.

But in exchange, we'll get an Episode 7. I hope this is a good trade.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM

If the complete series sells below $100 on Amazon, I may have to pick this up on a blind buy.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
From the start, it wasn't like they knew it was going to go on for 5 years. There
wasn't a 5 year plan with a grand finale planned at the end.
They said they were planning Clone Wars to be 100 episodes back before it started. That sounds like five seasons to me.

Nevertheless, without an ending, it is just another pointless worthless series in my book. Glad I stopped watching it in the middle of the first season. I had planned that if the ending was good, I would watch the entire series, but they just saved me from 100ish episodes of torture.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Clone Wars was originally planned for 5 seasons, but as they approached that end point, the writers realised there were a few additional stories they wanted tell. Rather than extend the final season beyond 22 episodes, they cut it short (to 20 episodes) and a truncated 6th was commissioned.

As the Clone Wars team started work on season 6, Disney bought Lucasfilm. Disney, a direct competitor of Cartoon Network, decided to exploit a clause in the contract with Warner, which was set to expire at the end of the 5th season with an option to renew. Disney decided not to renew, effectively canceling the series, and shifted focus to the new theatrical trilogy and a new animated TV show called Rebels (which will take place between the prequels and OT). Rebels will air on Disney's XD channel.

However, work on season 6 was well underway when the buyout happened, and at least few season 6 episodes were completed (specifically, the two that would've normally aired in season 5) before Disney announced Clone Wars was "winding down". Disney has promised to release these episodes some point down the line, but calls what would've been season 6 "bonus content". Putting the episodes out is presumably not a priority for them.

If they don't just bury it, and actually follow through with the promise of "bonus content", I wonder if the season 6 material will air on a Disney-owned channel--perhaps as a mini/TV movie--sometime between now and the launch of Rebels in Fall 2014?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 AM

Meh, **** em!! I'm not going to bother with the show at all now.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
...without an ending, it is just another pointless worthless series in my book. Glad I stopped watching it in the middle of the first season. I had planned that if the ending was good, I would watch the entire series, but they just saved me from 100ish episodes of torture.
Doc, it's a good kind of "torture". I understand if it's a series like Lost; if the
ending is crap, why invest your time for a pointless finale. But it's Star Wars.
You already know how the Clone Wars will end as shown in Episode 3.

Are the seasons worth watching? Hell ya. Depending on what your feel about
how bad Episodes 1, 2, & 3 are, the Clone Wars series helps wash away that
taste in your mouth from the prequels.

Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination.