'G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Default 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has just reviewed 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation - 3D.' He says this sequel is a start to washing away the stench the left behind by Stephen Sommers' 'Rise of Cobra,' but still has a long ways to go. Fans may also want to stick with the 2D Blu-ray as the post-converted 3D leaves much to be desired.

Full Review:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8968...liation3d.html
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Good review. While IMO they still missed the mark with this movie, it was leaps and bounds better than the last one. The entire RZA scenes were vomit inducing to me, and I wish they could've expanded the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fight to more than was seems like 30 seconds of film time.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Good review. As someone that had a (rather unhealthy) love of GI Joe growing up (at 9, I took a newspaper delivery job just so I could buy the toys; at 13, I took a job at a comic book store, working for store credit only, to buy the comic books), I would say I had fun watching this one. Although I stubbornly like the other one (even tho I know deep down what a pile of crud it was), this one was WAY better...thought I was the only one that got the 'Silent Interlude' nod. Definitely an improvement. If nothing else, removing the lips from Snake Eyes' mask was worth it. I saw this in the theater (I had the entire theater to myself, which was awesome) in 3D. Although I was underwhelmed by the 3D, I have decided to buy all movies in this format from here on out (unless the package does not offer it in 2D as well) even though I don't yet have the equipment...I assumed this was a passing fad, a la the 60's...and the 70's. But it looks like it's here to stay, and it is WAY better than the old way of watching 3D. From a fellow GI Joe nut, good review! This will be an easy buy for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Three stars is till too much for this garbage. It might be better than Rise, but it is still a 2/10, making it a 1/5.

Speaking of RZA, they should have just called him Exposition Master instead of Blind Master. Now to be fair, I did like the ninja spot, which reminded me of the silent issue of the original comics (21), Zartan playing Angry Birds as everyone flipped out was hysterical, and Cobra Commander was cool for the whole 5 minutes he was in the damn movie. However, Bruce Willis was just playing himself. There was no ending, the Cobra plot relied too much on stupidity, and why the hell would you put a self destruct button in your case?????!! Not to mention Lady Jaye was pretty much only there to be walking tits. Overall, as a Joe adaptation, it was an improvement, but I'm not going to let it slide because of that because is still down right sucked.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 AM

for adults, its instantly-forgettable crap. not worth buying in the slightest (no matter how cheap it gets) and barely worth watching even when it hits cable.

but if you got kids in their early teens, you could probably do worse. the violence isn't explicit/graphic, there's no blood, no cursing or nudity. just a lot of painfully-bad acting/dialogue & things that go "boom".
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Sad to see they did such a bad job with the conversion. I think I'm going to take this off of my buy list for payday!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Three stars is till too much for this garbage. It might be better than Rise, but it is still a 2/10, making it a 1/5.

Speaking of RZA, they should have just called him Exposition Master instead of Blind Master. Now to be fair, I did like the ninja spot, which reminded me of the silent issue of the original comics (21), Zartan playing Angry Birds as everyone flipped out was hysterical, and Cobra Commander was cool for the whole 5 minutes he was in the damn movie. However, Bruce Willis was just playing himself. There was no ending, the Cobra plot relied too much on stupidity, and why the hell would you put a self destruct button in your case?????!! Not to mention Lady Jaye was pretty much only there to be walking tits. Overall, as a Joe adaptation, it was an improvement, but I'm not going to let it slide because of that because is still down right sucked.
No mention of Flint? One of my favorite characters and they made him a whiny lil bitch. And what was up with the rather crappy parkour stuff they had him doing? No beret except for the one time where everyone was wearing one so it doesn't quite count.

I would rate the whole movie better than a 2, and while it was better than the first, it was still a disappointment over all.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 PM

YAY! Josh is back reviewing!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
YAY! Josh is back reviewing!
+1 I have missed your writing Josh. This one was a hoot! Are you still reviewing for Home Theater?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
No mention of Flint? One of my favorite characters and they made him a whiny lil bitch. And what was up with the rather crappy parkour stuff they had him doing? No beret except for the one time where everyone was wearing one so it doesn't quite count.

I would rate the whole movie better than a 2, and while it was better than the first, it was still a disappointment over all.
Well, to be fair, the beret is probably the least manliest of head gear. Even Stallone looks silly in one.