'Oblivion' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Default 'Oblivion' - High-Def Digest Review

To start of the week, we decided to send Aaron into 'Oblivion.' He says Tom Cruise's latest sci-fi blockbuster borrows quite a bit from other films, but still manages to hold its own. The Blu-ray is also demo-worthy on all fronts. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9131/oblivion.html
Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
For those that were hoping for IMAX aspect ratio shifting like 'The Dark Knight,' you'll be disappointed here.
For those that were hoping for IMAX DMR [digital remastering processing to degrain and sharpen the image(s)] like 'The Dark Knight,' you'll be disappointed here as well!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 AM

Tom Cruise nails it, but Aaron Peck nails it as well. This is a spot-on review. Oblivion wasn't super original, but it was fun, thrilling and a good time at the movies. Kosinski's a master visionary with a great eye for, eh, everything. This was stunning on the silver screen (sadly, no IMAX in Belgium) and it will be stunning on Blu-ray. Can't wait to see it again.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 AM

"If you were hoping for a switching aspect ratio Blu-ray, then I'm sorry - this release isn't for you."

I don't know why anyone would think this film will have aspect ratio shift? Kosinski shot the film for 2.40:1 screen but opened up the aspect ratio to 1.90:1 for IMAX theaters. I saw it at the real IMAX theater, 6 stories tall, the only time the aspect ratio shift was the flashback sequence, that scene was in widescreen 2.40:1. The rest of the film was in constant 1.90:1 ratio. I didn't see it at the fake IMAX theater so I assume the entire screen filled up?

As for the film, I enjoyed it quite a bit and yes it looked spectacular on IMAX. Can't wait to watch it again on BD.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Tom Cruise nails it, but Aaron Peck nails it as well. This is a spot-on review. Oblivion wasn't super original, but it was fun, thrilling and a good time at the movies. Kosinski's a master visionary with a great eye for, eh, everything. This was stunning on the silver screen (sadly, no IMAX in Belgium) and it will be stunning on Blu-ray. Can't wait to see it again.
+1, I absolutely loved this movie and will be buying it. This and Pacific Rim have been the most enjoyable movies I have seen this "movie season".
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 AM

My first thought when I saw the movie score was "this can't be the same movie I saw at the theaters", but after reading the review, I agree that Aaron was spot on. I felt through most of the movie that I knew what was going to happen 10, 15 or 20 minutes down the road, and I was usually right. But it WAS a fun movie, and it was pretty.

There haven't been many movies that I felt were original this year, but there were a lot of fun ones. Star Trek Iron Man 3, and The Dark Knight Rises were additional movies in Franchises, Oz was a prequel, Hansel and Gretel felt like a rehash of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Jurassic Park and Top Gun were 3D conversions of great classic films, Gatsby was pretty original but felt like all of the director's other works, Now You See Me, while the movie kept me guessing, felt like a dozen other heist movies I have seen, World War Z and Warm Bodies both felt like your standard zombie flick (although both were fun), The Host was pretty much Stargate with a Mayer's love-triangle in it, and Pacific Rim was pretty much a live action, Americanized version of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

You know, I must give Hollywood a bit of credit, though. While there have been many movies this year that were either established francise movies or felt like rehashes of older movies, the movies I have seen have all been enjoyable. I think I would rate Oblivion the lowest of the movies I have seen this year (probably about a 2.5 or a 3 in my book), but I did enjoy myelf.

Good review.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDuser30 View Post
"If you were hoping for a switching aspect ratio Blu-ray, then I'm sorry - this release isn't for you."

I don't know why anyone would think this film will have aspect ratio shift? Kosinski shot the film for 2.40:1 screen but opened up the aspect ratio to 1.90:1 for IMAX theaters. I saw it at the real IMAX theater, 6 stories tall, the only time the aspect ratio shift was the flashback sequence, that scene was in widescreen 2.40:1. .
I think you answered your own question here. There are numerous flashback scenes - more than one - in the movie that switched aspect ratio back and forth on IMAX (I saw it on true IMAX too). I know some people were hoping for the same experience that they had at the IMAX, which did indeed include shifting aspect ratios.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM

I saw this in "fake" IMAX and was still amazed at how great ths movie looked. I also enoyed the story a great deal. I did not even think about what movies it borrowed from while I was watching it. I simply wen along for the ride and had a blast. The IMAX ratios would have been nice but oh well. I had a feeling this movie would be a stunner on Blu-ray. I'll be picking this up on day one for sure.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Have the steelbook preordered from Amazon UK. Can't wait to see this.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Upfront I definitely enjoyed this flick but there were some elements that bothered me. So far Kosinski has gifts but isn't yet a great director. Some ideas were confusing and the borrowed ones were delivered without their own style or twist. I kinda wish they would let Kosinski be production designer and hand the directing job to someone else. While a little too long, the movie definitely had sections removed (was the Game of Thrones guy really just cast to stand around and grunt?). The villain was fun but ultimately a moron, and the architectural/ vehicular designs were cool but looked too much like Tron Legacy leftovers. I really did love the pool scene, though-- it felt like a slice out of a Michael Mann film.