'Doctor Who: Series 1-7 Limited Edition Giftset' is up for pre-order - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Default 'Doctor Who: Series 1-7 Limited Edition Giftset' is up for pre-order

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9663...7_giftset.html
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Wow would I love to have that, I already own Seasons 5 and 6 plus the David Tennant specials on Bluray though, got them all for only $20 a piece or so on a sale from Amazon a while back. $300 is way too much for me Hopefully they will release the first 4 seasons on Bluray separately and of course I'm still waiting for the full Season 7 set....
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM

UGGGGHHH!!! OK, I'm with Vidfreek hoping they release S1-4 separately. I can't conceivably re-buy all the current BDs... damn...
Old 07-17-2013, 11:50 PM

Pretty sure seasons 1-4 were taped in SD so these would be upconverts. Still, was very impressed with an upconverted series 3 episode I caught on BBC America HD a week or two ago. I agree that the price is... high, and I don't think the Moffat years are worth buying, so this one'll have to come down more than a bit in price.
EDIT: Now that I've had a close look on Amazon, it's pretty much a given these seasons will all be available seperately, seeing as they're all just standard cases in the box. Probably $70 a pop, though.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 AM

I'll be all over Series 1-4 if they're much improved and have new special features. maybe they could squeeze more episodes on each disc, which would be nice. Now if they'd just put the old series on Blu-Ray...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgomite View Post
Pretty sure seasons 1-4 were taped in SD so these would be upconverts. Still, was very impressed with an upconverted series 3 episode I caught on BBC America HD a week or two ago. I agree that the price is... high, and I don't think the Moffat years are worth buying, so this one'll have to come down more than a bit in price.
EDIT: Now that I've had a close look on Amazon, it's pretty much a given these seasons will all be available seperately, seeing as they're all just standard cases in the box. Probably $70 a pop, though.
They would never be able to get away with that. And while they were originally BROADCAST in SD, HD was very much already here and it would have been extreme shortsighted of them to not have the original elements in anything less than 1080p, but then again this is the same bunch that rerecorded over the classic WHO episodes to avoid buying more video tape.

But they would get reamed if they used the word remastered and they were merely up converting.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I'll be all over Series 1-4 if they're much improved and have new special features. maybe they could squeeze more episodes on each disc, which would be nice. Now if they'd just put the old series on Blu-Ray...
The old series can't get the benefit of Bluray at all, other than maybe fitting more per disc because the originals were mastered to video tape, filmed scenes included. They then discarded the original film negatives because they are idiots. The only episode that was fully filmed on actual celluloid is being released on BluRay after going through a whole remastering from the original elements. I'll be buying that. HDD just had an article about it recently.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM

I've already got this stuff, so I'll just wait until 1-4 come out on BD individually.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttringle View Post
They would never be able to get away with that. And while they were originally BROADCAST in SD, HD was very much already here and it would have been extreme shortsighted of them to not have the original elements in anything less than 1080p, but then again this is the same bunch that rerecorded over the classic WHO episodes to avoid buying more video tape.

But they would get reamed if they used the word remastered and they were merely up converting.
Due to the unique way the BBC is run, and the peculiarities of television in the UK in general, Doctor Who wasn't shot in HD until the second Tennant special, Planet of the Dead.

Series 1-4 were produced on standard definition videotape in 16:9 widescreen PAL 576. These episodes will be upconverted on blu-ray, although from a source of slightly superior resolution than what's currently available on R1 DVD (576 lines > 480 lines).
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM

Preordered! I been holding off on buying the DVDs because they're so high and I didn't buy the blus because I was hoping something like this would come to the states.