'Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins' is coming September 10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins' is coming September 10

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9659...l_origins.html
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 PM

"Origins"? What a lame gimmick to bundle these completely random, unrelated episodes together.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh z View Post
"origins"? What a lame gimmick to bundle these completely random, unrelated episodes together.
money grab
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

True Trek fans already own the seasons - lukewarm fans will likely pass on this random episode set.
Paramount (CBS?) will say "Oh this disc didn't sell well" and cutback on their already mediocre support of the format even more.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Who's gonna buy this other than the odd clueless sucker? Hope they didn't press too many copies.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM

It seems like a decent best-of collection to me... Not everybody wants to spend so much on the season sets, after all.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM

For my part, I might actually get this set when it gets cheap, mainly for the episode Space Seed as a companion to go with Wrath of Khan. I've now seen all the original episodes via Netflix, and really don't care to see all of them again. Don't get me wrong, I like the show and I appreciate how ground-breaking it was, but even with the updated effects it's just too dated, I'm a Next Generation guy.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Yeah, you can buy this for $25 or get the whole first season on Blu-ray for $45.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Well my remark was taking the current price into account. I don't think it's a sucker buy for say, under $15. But at $25 you may as well just spend a little more and get all 30 episodes (or so) when the next sale comes along.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
"Origins"? What a lame gimmick to bundle these completely random, unrelated episodes together.
They don't seem like that random of episodes to me. You got the two piolets, the Khan episode, the Tribble episode, and the introduction of the Klingons. Seems like a great way to introduce people to the original series who have only seen the rebooted movies.

This may be good for the casual viewer, the WalMart price tag on this should be under $20. I am willing to bet they will sell a few of these - mainly from the people who have fond memories of seeing Star Trek as kids, but don't want to shell out $80+ for the seasons. I have several friends who picked up the TNG Sampler discs and The Best of Both Worlds and not the seasons simply because of price.

Don't underestimate the buying power of the casual viewer.

There are actually quite a few movies and TV shows I picked up because the price was right, including some Animes that I just picked up the movie (what do they call those, OAVs or something) because the price war right.

This should sell pretty well. In fact, I bet I can probably point to a few of my friends who will probably pick this up.