BD/DVD Music Videos are NEVER subtitled...Why? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 AM

Default BD/DVD Music Videos are NEVER subtitled...Why?

Something that I've noticed, and has been bugging me a bit.

Even if all the other extra features on a disk are subtitled, you can bet the music video won't be. I've never seen an exception (unless you count the 'Sing Along' types, which are a different beast really).

Is there some weird rule where the music video producers have to make the subtitles themselves, otherwise it can't be put on the disk or something? Some sort of legal BS?

There has to be some reason why an hour or more of special features are subtitled, and a couple/few minutes of video is ignored....
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM

I dunno, makes me nuts too. I like metal concerts, as much a metal fan as I am, I usually can't tell what their singing lol, so subs would be nice.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the music publisher legally owns reprint rights to the song lyrics, thus requiring the movie studio to pay a licensing fee to subtitle the song.

I'm not saying that this is definitively the answer, but it's the sort of BS that the music industry engages in these days.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the music publisher legally owns reprint rights to the song lyrics, thus requiring the movie studio to pay a licensing fee to subtitle the song.

I'm not saying that this is definitively the answer, but it's the sort of BS that the music industry engages in these days.
Yeah, that's basically my theory.

The music industry is messed up enough for such a thing to be happening (and not be surprising).