'The Newsroom: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Default 'The Newsroom: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'The Newsroom: The Complete First Season.' He says it's not just the best show currently on TV, it's one of the best shows ever on TV. The Blu-ray set offers an excellent presentation of the first season. This is highly rewatchable and a whole lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7679/newsroom_s1.html
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Huh. I wished I liked the show as much as Shannon does. I wanted to, but I found the first season a massive disappointment.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Huh. I wished I liked the show as much as Shannon does. I wanted to, but I found the first season a massive disappointment.
Ditto. The characters' pointless and constant ranting about the same things over and over again made me stop watching the show around 7th or 8th episode. I've enjoyed Sorkin's movies a lot and the premiere of Newsroom was promising. I wanted to like the show but like Josh, I found the S1 to be a huge dissappointment. Very unlikely that I ever tune in for the rest of the season or S2.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Wow. I don't think I watched the same show as this reviewer did.

I have loved Aaron Sorkin in years past. I'm a conservative, but I LOVED The West Wing. Even though it was a little preachy about politics that I didn't agree with, it wasn't so in-your-face that you couldn't just smile and move on. It was a fantastic show about leadership that I recommend to everyone.

This show...wow.

I have never watched something that was so unabashedly pompous and condescending about different worldviews, political or otherwise. And it wasn't even that good at doing it! There were several arguments made about how evil the Tea Party was...but I was sitting there channeling the classic line, "I don't think that word/argument means what you think it means."

But you know what, I can forgive all of that. As a conservative, I'm used to Hollywood and TV programs catering to liberal ideologies. I don't lose sleep over it. I don't think liberals are stupid. I just disagree. But what this show does that I cannot forgive is mix fiction so liberally (pardon) with historical fact. There were several interviews with "experts" mixed into ACN's live coverage of recent events that were done in such a way (and I believe in a deliberate way) where it was very difficult to understand that the interview was fiction and didn't actually happen. This show is sneaky.

It's dishonest. And as much as I have enjoyed Sorkin in the past, he's lost me on this one.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Personally I absolutely loved this show. Can't wait for the second season
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM

It's a good show but it can't be called the best while Mad Men is still on.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Loved the season 1. Looking forward to Season 2. Am yet to find a yank who truly loves it. Unsurprising really.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 AM
HDD Contributor

It's not even Sorkin's best show. It'll be lucky to be considered his third best. It's trying way to hard to be Network and Broadcast News and comes up very short. It takes too many episodes to get its footing. I almost gave up but stuck it out and the back half it finds its stride. Still, most of the romantic storylines are weak as are the two main female characters throughout. I don't see how anyone who doesn't agree with the show's politics can like it since it comes off like a liberal version of FoxNews. I agree with the show's politics and still found it annoying.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 AM

A master class in writing? Please. This show is self-indulgence on an epic, almost decadent, scale. Only times I enjoyed it were when I thought Sorkin was using self-parody to work through a horrible case of writer's block.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 AM

I really enjoyed it. As a non-American, a lot of the political commentary, views, stories, etc. were lost on me, but I think that could also have been a good thing, because I came in without any real preconceptions or a fixed political mindset (I still don't really understand the difference between left and right, or democrat/republican). It also helped me focus on the characters and the mechanics of journalism, without getting caught up in the politics as some of the other commenters seem to have been.

The episode which really failed to connect for me was the one where they reported on Osama Bin Laden being killed. It felt very heavy-handed on the patriotism. I kept thinking "so...is anyone going to comment on the questionable morality of this?". But then again it may simply be because i'm not American so have had different views/exposures to that story.