Quick! Which Criterion blu-ray should I blind buy? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Which Criterion should I blind buy?
Che 1 14.29%
The Lady Vanishes 2 28.57%
Rashomon 0 0%
Gold Rush 2 28.57%
3:10 to Yuma 0 0%
Kagemusha 1 14.29%
I have no idea, why are you asking me? 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Quick! Which Criterion blu-ray should I blind buy?

I'll be going to my local B&N, after I get my pay check, and picking up a few Criterion titles under their 40% off blu-ray sales.

I already plan on picking up the following (no, not 'The Following')...
- House (blind buy, a gamble from what I hear, but I'm excited...)
- Rosemary's Baby (haven't seen it in 20 years)
- Three Outlaw Samurai (blind buy that seems highly recommended here)

I will probably pick up a 4th movie, and I've narrowed it down to this (seemingly random) selection of titles I've never seen. Which would you suggest?

- Che
- The Lady Vanishes
- Rashomon
- Gold Rush (saw half an hour or so, and enjoyed it a great deal)
- 3:10 To Yuma (loved the remake)
- Kagemusha

I may also throw in Jubal, since it's such a good price.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add Kiss Me Deadly as a consideration.

Last edited by NJScorpio; 05-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM

My vote is for The Gold Rush. I've always loved this film and the Criterion BD looks great.

I also own Three Samurai Outlaws, which is a great movie if you like these types of classic Japanese films.

With that said, although I'm guilty of it myself, I try very hard not to blind buy Criterions. They're just too expensive, even when they have the 50% off sale. My local library has almost ever Criterion released, so I borrow the DVD/BD from the library and watch the film before plunking down $20+ on a film I won't ever watch again.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
My vote is for The Gold Rush. I've always loved this film and the Criterion BD looks great.

I also own Three Samurai Outlaws, which is a great movie if you like these types of classic Japanese films.

With that said, although I'm guilty of it myself, I try very hard not to blind buy Criterions. They're just too expensive, even when they have the 50% off sale. My local library has almost ever Criterion released, so I borrow the DVD/BD from the library and watch the film before plunking down $20+ on a film I won't ever watch again.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I can see your point. There are many that are available on Hulu streaming (though often not the same scan as the blu-ray), so I'm trying to watch them there then decide what I want to buy. I did this with Tokyo Drifter, loved it, then ordered it on Amazon the next day.

Based on reviews and descriptions of the subject matter, there are some Criterions that I'm not compelled to buy...but in general I'm looking to collect Criterions, so when I see a sale, I take the gamble on blind buys.

It paid off with Naked Lunch, On the Waterfront, and The Man Who Knew Too Much!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 PM

I think The Lady Vanishes is one of the best Hitch films, so thats my vote.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leterface View Post
I think The Lady Vanishes is one of the best Hitch films, so thats my vote.
that movie is awesome
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM

The only thing that makes me unsure about picking up The Lady Vanishes is that I believe it available streaming through Hulu. I was trying to pick up films that are only on blu-ray at this point...but I have wanted to see/buy TLV for months now.

EDIT: With all my blind buys, I have quite a decent selection of movies I have yet to watch at home. If my internet goes down...no Hulu? No Netflix? No problem!

Last edited by NJScorpio; 05-24-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Lady Vanishes, Rashomon or Gold Rush are all great picks. Any of those three would be my suggestion.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:49 PM

So...it looks like it is down to The Lady Vanishes and Gold Rush...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Love your enthusiasm for CC films.

But, as a previous poster already pointed out, would highly recommend streaming, renting, or borrowing from local library. I mean, I've made some great Criterion blind buys myself but once too often, have seen too many one and dones that have ended up on the shelf collecting dust.

And am pretty late but I would've went with Che.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Tnecniv,

I know there are some Criterion films that wouldn't be for me. For instance, I saw The Thin Red Line for the first time last year, and did NOT enjoy it. Maybe upon rewatching, but it just wasn't for me. So I won't be picking that up anytime soon. It's a gamble, but a fun one. For now, though, that's all the blind buys I'll be making.