'Warm Bodies' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Default 'Warm Bodies' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Warm Bodies.' He enjoyed this movie much more than he had expected. This Blu-ray offers fans a terrific video presentation, a solid 7.1 DTS-HD MA surround sound track, 3.5 hours of Special Features (including the commentary), and Digital Copy/UltraViolet. If you're a fan, this is a no-brainer. For everyone else, this is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8959/warm_bodies.html
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Palmer
My only complaint isn't really a nitpick, but an observation of a structural challenge. I love setups where the hero did something bad to the heroine's ex-boyfriend (or husband) before the two destined-lovebirds meet. It's fantastic drama, right? Can he reveal the truth? Should he? Can they survive the truth? But the challenge with this element, or story structure, is that when the truth finally comes out, usually later in the movie, there isn't always enough story time to deal with the grief and forgiveness because, by this point in the film, we're accelerating towards the third act and climax. Though 'Warm Bodies' does an admirable job, it's still a bit rushed, but perhaps it will always seem that way in anything but a novel. Heck, think of 'Romeo + Juliet' -- Romeo kills Juliet's cousin, Tybalt, and twenty seconds after Romeo tells Juliet, the ill-fated newlyweds have sex for the first time. So, if the Bard can't master it, maybe no one can. (Or, worse, it could be one of those personal things I notice in movies that no one else cares about!).
Well put. I care about that as well.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM

Great to see a shoutout to the Kennedy School!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM

Twilight with Zombies. No thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Twilight with Zombies. No thanks.
I think Warm Bodies deserves more credit. Open mind. Remember how you disliked 21 Jump Street without having seen it?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 AM

F*%K!! Wrote out a massive prose in praise of this movie and the page timed out after posting, resulting in no post and the loss of my text! :-(

Basically though, don't skip this movie because you think this is just another Twilight. Twilight exploits the naïveté of young wet teens and pays no respect to its genre. Warm Bodies , on the other hand, pays great respect to and celebrates its genre, as well as showcasing some great dialogue, an interesting plot that is not too 'schmaltzy', and showcases a memorable performance by Nicholas Hoult.

My only gripe with the film is not regarding a 'rushed' feeling, but about the drastic change in zombie abilities/motor-skills depending on what the scene calls for. In one scene, R is perfectly capable of running (like he was an extra in The Walking Dead... a show that is the very definition of this inconsistency), while in a later scene he struggles with the typical zombie-shuffle! Other scenes see zombies that are suddenly able to communicate without any prior ability to do so.

But this doesn't detract too much from the overall experience, and it is a highly enjoyable movie nonetheless!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 AM

I heard about this film, but never got around to looking up much about it or paying attention to release dates. I don't watch movies in theaters for a few reasons, but yeah I think I'll be picking this up at some point.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Unless we don't have a look at it how can we disregard it. I think everyone should watch it at least once to judge it and give it ample opportunities to prove itself.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
F*%K!! Wrote out a massive prose in praise of this movie and the page timed out after posting, resulting in no post and the loss of my text! :-(
Yeah I've learned to copy lengthy posts before hitting the submit button on this site, I've lost more than a few posts here.

I must admit I had written this off as Twilight with zombies, but after the glowing review I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 AM

I would have liked this movie 10 years ago, but I'm a grown man. I really wanted to like it and was excited to watch it, but i was thoroughly disappointed. This wasn't an homage to zombie flicks either. They show a blu-ray of "Zombi" in a scene so fools think it pays homage, but it is insulting to the genre.

It is: "Twilight" - vampires x a failed attempt at "Shaun of the Dead" style direction, humor, and romance.

The movie has a horribly thin plot with no real villains.

But on the other hand, my wife, who hates horror and zombie stuff said "awww, that was a cute fun zombie movie!