"Mastered in 4K" and the Road to Ultra HD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 AM

Default "Mastered in 4K" and the Road to Ultra HD

We'll break down all this recent 4K hoopla step by step, detailing exactly what these "Mastered in 4K" discs are and what they aren't. We'll also discuss how they relate to real Ultra HD and highlight what's currently available and on the horizon for the burgeoning Ultra HD format.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Ultra_HD/11781
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM

I got curious to see how is the connection between the Sony FMP-X1 player and the TV. Is it HDMI?
I searched for this model in Sony support page, to see the owner's manual, but this model is not listed yed.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
This proprietary algorithm will ostensibly provide the best possible upconverted picture.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM

I totally agree. It's only worth purchasing if you don't own these titles & not big on special features supplements .
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM

So soon after Bluray and nice HDTVs are getting adopted and now we have 4K versions for all new TV Sets and stuff yet again, its just too damn soon and too damn expensive for most people, I'm not sure what the point is of this outside of crazy people with lots of money, my HDTV is great and 1080p is always nicely detailed, I have ZERO desire to bother going even higher def than I already am, especially for a price that costs more than any Car I'm willing to purchase
Old 05-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Mastered in 4k = Superbit

While the new disc MAY look better; it is likely due to a newer 'master' scan and NOT because it was in 4k.

ONLY buy them if you dont own a disc already or only if there is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 PM

Great article, Steven. You hit on all the important points.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM

And as usual this thread is already filled with negative comments from people who never even tried these discs. Sigh.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TL View Post
Quote:
This proprietary algorithm will ostensibly provide the best possible upconverted picture.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...r1yio1_400.jpg
Indeed!

The reason why we're seeing 4K already is because 3D largely failed and didn't move as many sets (and glasses, and players...) as manufacturers such as Sony and Samsung had hoped. Now they're pushing something else that's new and shiny. Fact of the matter is, though, that 2160p (which is not actually 4K) is overkill in most any real consumer related (domestic) situation.

Another problem is that of distributing the material. I don't think 4K BD will see the light of day, which leaves us with proprietary solutions such as the one Sony has. Sporting Sony films only. Yay.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 AM

One thing that may have been good to point out (in relation to the content availability section at the end) is that even if films are being shot in 4k/5k, the visual effects can sometimes be done in 2k (e.g. The Hobbit) so even some recent films will at least be partial up-converts when shown in 4k. Unless they remaster them with re-rendered VFX for UHD in the future.

Good article otherwise though

Last edited by pedram; 05-18-2013 at 02:29 AM.