'A Boy and his Dog' is coming August 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Default A Boy and His Dog (Shout Factory) August 6th

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9215/boy_dog_1975.html

Great news to see this cult post apocalypse tale getting a proper release on BD.

Quote:
World War IV has ravaged Earth, and its survivors must battle for food, shelter and companionship in a post-atomic wasteland. This classic sci-fi tale follows the exploits of a young man, Vic (Don Johnson), and his telepathic dog, Blood, as they struggle through the barren wilderness. In the midst of their meager existence, foraging for scraps of food and battling ruthless gangs, Vic and Blood encounter a young woman who lures them into a surreal city deep beneath the earth’s surface.

Based on the award-winning novella by acclaimed science-fiction author Harlan Ellison, A Boy and His Dog is a dark, twisted and sometimes comical trip through a post-apocalyptic reality in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited by eNoize; 05-23-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Love, love, love this weird, twisted little film with a very young Don Johnson!
Can't wait!
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Default 'A Boy and his Dog' is coming August 6

Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM

Oh, boy... Twonun is going to freak the fuck out.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Fuck yes! One of my favorite films ever! I'm freaking out at the prospect of just having a anamorphic image. The increase in resolution is merely a bonus at this point.

Totally expecting this to look and sound like shit. The perfect transfer for this gloriously cheap film.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 AM

This is one of the catalog titles I will buy at just about any price point. Very glad to see it get a blu release. Wish Criterion wad doing it, but I'll take what I can get.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

I originally saw this as a midnight flick at college. It was definitely a crazy flick. I've seen it a few times since. It's OK but I'm not sure I'd freak out if I couldn't get a copy on Blu. Glad that it is being released on Blu, just not rushing out to buy myself a copy of it.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
This is one of the catalog titles I will buy at just about any price point. Very glad to see it get a blu release. Wish Criterion wad doing it, but I'll take what I can get.
I wouldn't really want Criterion to touch it. The film isn't that type to be lumped into the pretentious esteem that tends to be associated with those films. I also fear that they would ruin the transfer by cleaning it up too much. It should look like a POS. Regardleas of intent, the film is what it is, and the organic nature of time has made a glorious presentation for it. Dirty and worn. Just like the world it captures.

Kinda curious if LQ has done any recent interviews for it. We'll see.

This, Audition and 12 Monkeys remain some of the most watched films that I own. When my dog died I watched this on an almost endless loop the whole day.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I wouldn't really want Criterion to touch it. The film isn't that type to be lumped into the pretentious esteem that tends to be associated with those films. I also fear that they would ruin the transfer by cleaning it up too much.
When has Criterion ever done this?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Eh, they haven't handled something like A Boy and His Dog. So, they haven't done it. However, my worry is still legit due to their pedigree/goal in title releases. Like I said, regardless of intent, the way the film has organically aged through the years is also the perfect way for the film to remain.

BD has created instances of films being too good looking. Which exposes things never meant to be seen. This is one of my favorite films and I've seen it a ridiculous amount of times. So, my bias might be showing.