Star Wars - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Star Wars

So...

I saw the Original Trilogy on sale for $39.99 at Best Buy. Other than Criterion releases, I generally don't consider a set of movies a bargain unless it breaks down to less than $10 a movie. Still, it seemed like a good price, even if they are altered versions. Which brings me to my conclusion...

HOW long have we been waiting for the Theatrical Releases to come out on Blu-Ray? Hell, it was even long since they were released on DVD. Sure, there is hope in Disney, but I wouldn't imagine seeing that until (at least) the release of their next Star Wars movie.

I'm not a Star Wars fanboy, but I've gotten caught up with the "hate" for the revised films. I just feel that there were some unneeded changes. My point is, I was clouded by this perspective. It was as if I was talking about the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Bad movies hurting a series. Despite the changes to the original trilogy, I still get chills from John Williams' score, I still enjoy the character dymanics, and I still wish I had a lightsaber.

So for $39.99, it is worth it to me, to get the enjoyment that remains in these modified films. Even if, in a year, they DID release the theatrical releases, a year's worth of HD Star Wars is still reasonable at that price.

If you enjoy Star Wars, don't deny yourself what enjoyment is there because you don't want to "support" these versions. The money you hold back from spending on this set will not send a message to the powers that be any louder than what fans have been shouting for years.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
If you enjoy Star Wars, don't deny yourself what enjoyment is there because you don't want to "support" these versions. The money you hold back from spending on this set will not send a message to the powers that be any louder than what fans have been shouting for years.
I'm burnt out on Star Wars. I get no enjoyment from the Special Editions or the prequels. If the original theatrical versions were properly restored and released, I would buy them, but I can't foresee myself buying any of the existing discs no matter how cheap they get.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm burnt out on Star Wars. I get no enjoyment from the Special Editions or the prequels.
Well, I never said anything about buying the prequels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If the original theatrical versions were properly restored and released, I would buy them, but I can't foresee myself buying any of the existing discs no matter how cheap they get.
Oh, I'm sure many people are in the same boat as you. Personally, I never owned Star Wars on DVD (or even VHS). I've seen the original trilogy countless times, but usually on TV.

So I'm not burnt out on them yet. I'll still cringe when there is a modified scene, but I'll get over it by the next scene.

I just feel that so many people agressively dislike the revisions to the point where it sounds like the entire movie is revisions.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM

I'm on the flip side of Josh' argument, I'm burnt out on hating them. Like Scorpion said, I still love the characters, the story and also wish I had a lightsaber. Most of the revisions no longer bother me, the last revision fixed some of the mistakes made with the special edition. The worst is the musical number they added to ROTJ. Even Hayden at the end makes as much or more sense as the old guy from the theatrical cut, I'd seen it a dozen times before I even figured out who the hell what was supposed to be lol(keep in mind I was like 8).

$39.99 is a bargain, especially if you trade a DVD and get $5 off on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM

On Amazon it's $32.99 http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Orig...r+wars+blu+ray
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM

I'm going to start a huge storm here....... let's begin....

I LOVE the prequels AND prefer the special editions of the original trilogy.

I said it.

And yes, I grew up with the original versions and even saw all 3 in theaters during their original run. (Yes, I'm that old).

I don't mind the changes at all. Sure, some are somewhat pointless, but they don't take away any enjoyment for me from the movie.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM

For the most part I like the prequel's except Phantom Menace there's just too much wrong with it. Last year for the first time I tried watching all six movies back to back for the first time, and I found the real problem with the prequels is that they all feel like a digital painting whereas the originals feel like real movies. My eyes just glaze over when watching them, but when I got to A New Hope I felt engaged.

The next time I watch all the movies again I'm going to follow the suggestion found here. http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/star-war...-wars-marathon

Basically watching ANH and ESB 1st and flashing back to the prequels, skipping Ep 1 altogether.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

I also don't mind the special editions. I've owned the DVDs of the original versions that came out about 5 years ago, and I never watch them.

Most of the changes are fairly enjoyable - additional storm troopers in the death star, cleaned up matte lines, touching up the Wampa's arm. The things that aren't good are usually not especially distracting. I kind of wish the Dewback moved a little less obviously CGI. And I feel like the re-blocking of Mos Eisley wasn't a great idea. These things don't stick with me.

I would like to see the edit that Topher Grace put together of the prequel trilogy. It sounds fascinating.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/...requel-re-edit
While I don't have the same contempt for Episode 1 that many people do, the more I see it, the more useless it feels in the larger picture.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM

My take on why myself, and perhaps others, didn't like the prequels. This is independent of the actual quality of the films.

It's hard to care about the characters, by nature of them being such direct prequels. If they were established in the originals, then we know what will happen to them. If they weren't, then we know they are really only relevant to the prequels, and perhaps not all that important.

Since we know the end result of the prequels before we see them, what is in them has to be AWESOME for us to be compelled to watch. Similar to how Memento starts with the ending. In fact, you can compare the shot of Vader killing Obi Wan in A New Hope to the opening shot of Memento. Then you go back to watch the development of those two characters' relationships leading up to that point (with the prequels). It sounds great in theory, but that approach relies SO MUCH on acting and well written dialog.

Also, the concept is not as "fun" as the original. You have the development of a student and teacher relationship on the backdrop of political turmoil. Or, you have a son violently confronting his estranged father on the backdrop of a rebellion.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM

It is what it is and that is all there is to it. If they release the original versions on BD, I'll buy them. For now, I will continue to enjoy my Complete Sagas set, even if TPM is crap.