'Django Unchained' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Default 'Django Unchained' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Django Unchained.' Tarantino's latest is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8427...unchained.html
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Didn't get a chance to catch this in the theater. Looking forward to giving the Blu-ray a spin this weekend.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM

J. Michael Riva died???! Why wasn't this national news? I was completely unaware. He was my favourite production designer. Also the only one I knew by name. I'll never forget his Goonies sets. Such a loss. I wish I could have interviewed him.

Django Unchained is excellent, by the way.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Default Almost perfect movie

Solid review. This was a truly excellent movie (quite possibly Tarantino's best so far) with excellent performances (Christoph Waltz steals the show but Leo was also superb). Can't wait to see it again. I say almost perfect because that scene with the pre-kkk group trying to get their masks on was just silly and out of place. But man this was one truly beautiful, enthralling and cathartic revenge flick!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Watch the BD last night and loved it. I do think the video was just slightly soft in some areas, but other than that, no complaints.

And Division, that scene with the KKK was excellent and fantastic. It felt very in place. I also disagree on Waltz. He is down right amazing, but for me it is Leo and Jackson that steal the show.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 PM
HDD Contributor

for me, the movie completely falls apart when King makes his out-of-character decision that foils their plans, which they were moments away from accomplishing. It's as if QT forgot Django was supposed to be the hero of the story and didn't care what had been established earlier in the script.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM

The music/soundtrack selection feature in the scene selection submenu is neat. Haven't seen any reviews mention it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bicho View Post
for me, the movie completely falls apart when King makes his out-of-character decision that foils their plans, which they were moments away from accomplishing. It's as if QT forgot Django was supposed to be the hero of the story and didn't care what had been established earlier in the script.
I hardly call that out of character. He is German and a sore loser.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bicho View Post
I agree completely. I think this movie was a bit overrated as well. I just can't get into Tarantino's films anymore. The excess violence really bothers me- it bothered me in Drive too. There is no need to be that explicit with violence anymore.

The scene with the bags on their heads I enjoyed a lot, actually. The movie felt like a mixed bag for me. It felt too long too. Outstanding performances by lots of people.

I thought the soundtrack for the movie was outstanding.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I hardly call that out of character. He is German and a sore loser.
But he showed nothing at all prior to being a sore loser - unless I missed it.