'Jackie Chan: Police Story / Police Story II' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Default 'Jackie Chan: Police Story / Police Story II' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed 'Jackie Chan: Police Story / Police Story II.' This is for fans. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8474...ry_double.html
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

I'm glad to see this get reviewed! I just ordered it from Amazon, as I anticipated a review like this, but wanted to confirm that there wasn't anything terribly wrong with the discs. The movies are for fans, and the video quality was never great regardless of format. So, as a fan, I'm happy enough to have versions that are more clear (to whatever degree) than the DVD releases.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM

Default Man!

Man, this site never ceases to amaze me. I'm not sure who the target audience is for this site, but it clearly isn't movie buffs. Knocking classic Woody Allen, Jackie Chan, etc.

There is not dispute amongst anyone who enjoys + understands movies that many pre-American Jackie Chan movies are CLASSICS. POLICE STORY is largely considered one of his best, if not his best.

Seriously. This site must only be for people who like to watch UNDERWORLD and it's pretty blu-ray visuals.

Never ceases to amaze me. If you don't get it, you never will. Feel free to block me. I'll go to sites where the reviewers understand movies.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 PM
HDD Contributor

Sounds more like you want a site where reviewers have low standards like you do. The action scenes in Police Story are classic; everything else certainly isn't. And what is "pre-American Jackie Chan"? Pre-Rumble in the Bronx? Pre-Protector? Pre-Cannonball Run?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM

What the heck are you talking about? This site doesn't knock Woody Allen. He's my favorite filmmaker.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM

I'll knock Woody Allen. Only flick of his I'm a fan of is What's Up Tiger Lilly.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 AM

I'll knock him too, his movies make my teeth hurt.

But yeah Police Story is one of Jackies best, choosing the guy to review it who did seems a bit odd. Though he has every right to feel that way, I don't judge people based entirely on their tastes(unless their Twilight fans, then they can go fuck themselves). HK cinema isn't for everyone. You can't really judge HK movies by American standards. I think it was Tarentino who put it best, Chinese filmmakers are catering to people who can't afford to see many movies, so they want the entire emotional spectrum in one movie, they want to laugh, cry and be amazed by incredible action sequences in one sitting. Mixing comedy and action is the key to Jackie Chan's lasting power over there, and he has a succesful singing career there, a true jack of all trades.

Anyway, I hear the Japanese edition of Police Story I has a better transfer, too bad it costs an arm and a leg, I'll be ordering this.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Default .

This site gave MANHATTAN a terrible review. Nonsense.

My point is, any film junkie should enjoy the ever loving F*CK out of POLICE STORY and most pre-RUMBLE IN THE BRONX Jackie Chan movies.

I still enjoy RUMBLE IN THE BRONX and FIRST STRIKE.

Also, I love that Tarantino quote. Genius.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM

One of about a dozen reviewers gave Manhattan a middling review. Look at the bylines.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS - such an excellent movie among Woody Allen's many good movies. The man is good, sorry guys.

All of Jackie Chan's movies suck, except for the action sequences