'Naked Lunch' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Default 'Naked Lunch' - High-Def Digest Review

Kevin Yeoman has reviewed 'Naked Lunch.' He says people will be pondering this film for years to come. The Criterion Blu-ray is jam-packed with excellent extras and contains the best transfer the film has seen since it was in theaters. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8535/naked_lunch.html
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Now I have to decide between buying Repo Man (a classic I haven't seen in well over a decade), or this film, which sounds very interesting.

I wish B&N had a Criterion sale!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Now I have to decide between buying Repo Man (a classic I haven't seen in well over a decade), or this film, which sounds very interesting.

I wish B&N had a Criterion sale!
I chose Repo because I've seen it and love it.

I have never seen Naked Lunch and this review, while telling me the movie is great, doesn't tell me what's it about. I assume it's just one of those movies you need to watch to understand, or read the book. I will probably RENT it first before deciding on purchasing this.

Yes Criterion sales are always a good thing and few of them there are!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I have never seen Naked Lunch and this review, while telling me the movie is great, doesn't tell me what's it about. I assume it's just one of those movies you need to watch to understand, or read the book. I will probably RENT it first before deciding on purchasing this.
Good point. While I'd say the majority of Criterion movies have an artistic value that warrant watching regardless of genre/language/age/etc., that doesn't mean I'll want to own every one.

What I'm trying to do now is watch what I can on Hulu, then if I have a desire to rewatch it, I add it to an Amazon watch list. When the price drops below $30, I buy it. I did this for Tokyo Drifter.

Still, Criterion discs are some of the only blind buys I've done. I still have to watch Ministry of Fear and Letter Never Sent.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I assume it's just one of those movies you need to watch to understand, or read the book.
The movie isn't anything like the book. The book, as written, is completely unadaptable to film. Read a chapter of it and you'll instantly understand why.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 AM

True. It would actually be more productive to read a biography on Burroughs (Literary Outlaw being the best IMO) as elements of his life are woven into the movie. For instance, accidentally shooting his wife in the head occurred in real life, not the novel. Characters clearly based on Keruoac, Ginsberg, Bowles etc populate the movie. Anyway, I love this film. It wrestles with Videodrome for my favourite Cronenberg movie. As a region 4 dweller, I hope an equally good transfer pops up under the guise of a different distribution company.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

I still remember the first time I saw this film. I friend and I were bored teenagers and chose to watch this on DVD (maybe VHS back then?) for who knows what reason.

After the film ended, he looked over at me and said, "Um, can we watch that again?"

So we did. Fantastic movie.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
I have never seen Naked Lunch and this review, while telling me the movie is great, doesn't tell me what's it about.\
That's exactly my problem with the review. Don't just tell me it's important; give me some kind of plot synopsis, darn it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
That's exactly my problem with the review. Don't just tell me it's important; give me some kind of plot synopsis, darn it.
Movies like this defy a plot synopsis.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM

I am VERY glad I blind bought this film. Having very little knowledge on Burroughs, and about as much familiarity with the movie as this review provided, might have been the best way for me to approach the film for the first time.

I just sat down, and enjoyed the ride. Then I went into the supplements, and got a better understanding of the film's importance, and it's relationship to Burroughs and his novel.

I know that this will be a film I'll rewatch in the future, as there is just so much substance in it to absorb.