'John Dies at the End' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Default 'John Dies at the End' - High-Def Digest Review

Gordon has reviewed 'John Dies at the End.' He says this Blu-ray is for fans. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7649/john_end.html
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM

I suggest everyone watch the movie of this first, and then go back and read the book...because the book totally destroys this movie in every way possible. If you watch the movie first, you'll find a mildly enjoyable, yet totally disposable film. If you read the book first, then you'll be shaking your head at most of the changes that are made in the movie.

They seriously butchered this movie....and I can list a thousand ways that they did so....but the most disastrous change is the fact that the beginning of this movie is left hanging, because they cut some scenes out towards the end, that give the beginning some relevance.....oh, and the irony of the title is even lost in this film...because a MAJOR plot point/twist is not even touched upon....and a few of the major climactic moments from the novel have been cut. This movie is also completely devoid of the sharp wit that mixed with the gross out horror in the book. Instead, this movie has jokes that fall flat, and don't mesh well with the horror elements.

To me, I get the feeling, that when they were adapting the screen play for John Dies at the End, some screenwriter started reading it, thought it was a bit random at the beginning, and figured the entire book would be like that, without anything connecting......because it sure as hell didn't seem like they read the second act of the book....

All that being said, I still bought the Blu-Ray day one. Even though they butchered it, I still enjoy some aspects of it, including Paul Giamatti.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltobeyou View Post
I suggest everyone watch the movie of this first, and then go back and read the book...because the book totally destroys this movie in every way possible. If you watch the movie first, you'll find a mildly enjoyable, yet totally disposable film. If you read the book first, then you'll be shaking your head at most of the changes that are made in the movie.

They seriously butchered this movie....and I can list a thousand ways that they did so....but the most disastrous change is the fact that the beginning of this movie is left hanging, because they cut some scenes out towards the end, that give the beginning some relevance.....oh, and the irony of the title is even lost in this film...because a MAJOR plot point/twist is not even touched upon....and a few of the major climactic moments from the novel have been cut. This movie is also completely devoid of the sharp wit that mixed with the gross out horror in the book. Instead, this movie has jokes that fall flat, and don't mesh well with the horror elements.

To me, I get the feeling, that when they were adapting the screen play for John Dies at the End, some screenwriter started reading it, thought it was a bit random at the beginning, and figured the entire book would be like that, without anything connecting......because it sure as hell didn't seem like they read the second act of the book....

All that being said, I still bought the Blu-Ray day one. Even though they butchered it, I still enjoy some aspects of it, including Paul Giamatti.
I came to write pretty much this same thing.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

I saw this at Sundance a few years ago, and felt that it started off funny and weird, but by the end it was trying way too hard to be funny and weird. The last 20 minutes were flat out boring.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Dont know, I really enjoyed this, it was quirky, weird and for me, completely re-watchable. I love Coscarelli and his work and this definitely was a movie for him to make. Gonna read the book soon as well as the next one that the author did, if I liked the movie so much, I'm guessing I will really enjoy the book
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 PM
HDD Contributor

Thanks for the info, C2BU. Sounds a bit like the H2G2 movie. Just from watching both it's not entirely clear from the end result why someone thought either source was special enough to adapt into a movie if that's what they came up with. But JDATE certainly seems like it has potential with all the ideas it's filled with, so I am curious to read the book.

Not sure who else worked on it but Coscarelli is the credited screenwriter so he should get all the blame.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 AM

When I read the name "Gordon Miller", I thought: "That's weird. Why didn't he get a proper introduction?". When I clicked on his name, it turned out to be the alias of El Bicho. Or, rather, the other way around. When did "El Bicho" (if that is his real name) change his name?

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM

I saw this last night, and I gotta say it was better than I expected! I agree that the ending wasn't nearly as memorable as the first two thirds or so, but I had some genuine laughs.

I wouldn't buy it, but if I was at someone's house and they wanted to watch a weird movie, I'd watch it with them on Netflix streaming.

This thread, though, has gotten me intersted in reading the book. The concepts within the movie were very intersting. Also, I'm a sucker for movies that play with the concept of time.