'Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Default 'Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Die Hard: 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection.' If you don't already own the first 4 films in the series, this release is recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8219...ollection.html
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM

For me the series goes in order. despite the villains in the 2nd isn't nearly as good as the original . I loved the way they kept the spirit of the original . When i hear about Die Hard & Die Harder the nostalgic feeling of 70mm blow-up glory days of the first 2 films comes to mind .
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Great job on the review! One follow-up question. In the original bluray releases, DH2 has an issue with the audio track in which it was incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD instead of DTS-MA. Was that addressed in this new box set?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM

VERY surprised the reviewer liked Live Free or Die Hard. I thought it was awful - very generic compu-babble plot, Long does absolutely nothing for me (nor has he ever, with the exception of Zack and Miri), Willis was entering the phone-it-in phase of his career...but to each his own. Overall very well-written review though, you touched on pretty much everything. I might pick this up just for convenience's sake (personally, 1 is one of my favorite movies of all-time, 2 is ok, I love 3, hate Live Free).
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM

I might have missed it in the review, but is 'Live Free...' presented in its PG-13 or unrated form?

I agree with the reviewer in that Vengeance is my least favourite of the series so far (not counting A Good Day To Die Hard, which I have yet to see). The screenplay, as I understand it, was written to be Lethal Weapon 4, and the translation to the Die Hard universe just didn't work for me. I am surprised that people are so tolerant of the forced wise-cracks and ridiculous amount of 'suspension of disbelief' required to go along for the ride.

Live Free is arguably just as bad, but because expectations were so low, I actually enjoyed it a great deal!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 AM

So why exactly doesn't this include "A Good Day to Die Hard"? Oh right, because now retailers have two SKUS on their rack for the release of AGDTDH, so people get conned into buying the "full complete Die Hard experience", only for a future 5 film bluray with all of them, but of course, the inevitable 4K box set with the exclusive alternate closing credits audio track for DH:WAV will be out a year or so later. Disgusting.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I might have missed it in the review, but is 'Live Free...' presented in its PG-13 or unrated form?
I was wondering the same thing, but from what I've read it is not included in this set (and is still only available on DVD). It seems to be mostly adding stuff that wasn't there though (dubbing in swearing and adding CG blood), rather that putting things back in that were cut out - so not really a must have anyway.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM

The review for the first movie is very different to the one that HDD published previously for the last Die Hard box set. This is confusing, as it is the same encode.

The last reviewer had described it as a disappointment and this latest reviewer has described the source to be in "excellent condition". I find it ridiculous that they recycled a 6 year old master for a 25th anniversary addition.

Pass!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 AM

Personally I think the 07 release looks excellent. I'm sure there's room for improvement, but it's far and away the best the film has ever looked.

Why anyone is surprised that this set it nothing more than a repackaged cash grab is beyond me. Enjoy the old set and be happy.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM

I suppose what I find the most annoying about this, is that Blu-Ray has been around for over half a decade and there are still some legendary titles that haven't got the High Definition treatment that they deserve.

I am aware that these 80's movies are limited by their photography, but if a movie like The Terminator can be made to look as good as it does now, keeping in mind that it contained a lot of dirty optical effects. I see no reason why something similar couldn't be done with the Die Hard movies.

I don't see the point in pushing 4K onto the consumer at all if they cannot yet make classic catalog titles look good on Blu-Ray at 1080p.